New Guitar

duck7264
duck7264
01/24/2013 11:56 pm
Hey All,

I am going to post this question here as to I'm not getting any bites on it in another forum. I am looking to purchase a new guitar. My budget is around $300-350. Can anyone suggest a decent guitar in this price range? All input would be greatly appreciated. I am using this for strictly playing at home and with freinds but would like something that I could use if were to ever join an actual band.

Thanks,
Duck.
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/25/2013 12:23 am
Acoustic or electric?
# 2
duck7264
duck7264
01/25/2013 12:27 am
Electric, sorry.
# 3
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/25/2013 2:07 am
No problem at all... that's a healthy price range if you shop wisely. I bought a Jackson that was on sale at Guitar Center for that price; it plays great and sounds fantastic. I'd say the build quality is as good as if not superior to my American made Fender Strat, which cost 4x as much.

First order of business is to decide which do you want, single coils or humbuckers? Single coils have a bright tone that tends to stand out in a mix really well. Humbuckers have a richer, fuller sound, great if you're the only guitarist in the group, or if you want to cover a wide variety of styles. Also, if you're looking to have a really heavy sound, aka Slash, then humbuckers are a good choice, but a single coil setup can be made to sound heavy too.

After that, I'd try a few styles... some guitars lend themselves to a nice, rich rhythm sound, great if you're going to be playing a lot of chords. Other guitars are more oriented towards "shredding"... their necks are thin, the action is low, and usually are meant to have light gauge strings so that its really easy to do stuff like hammering on/pulling off. Just think about the kind of playing you want to do... if you want to be a lead guitarist shred master, get something like a Jackson or maybe an Ibanez (on sale?) that is geared towards that. If you're looking for something that's more an all-rounder, look for Strat/Les Paul style guitars (not real Strats or Les Pauls though, as they will be way too much).

If you can go to a place like Guitar Center, and try out some guitars, that would help a lot, but don't look at guitars that are out of your price range. Think about how much of the fretboard you want to realistically utilize too.. for instance, my Strat sounds, well, like a Strat... great! but, there are spots up high on the neck where its just not realistic that the guitar is going to play like the Jackson would.

In my opinion, the less options a guitar has, the better. I really don't mess with the volume and tone controls much on the guitar... I do switch between pickups, but that's about it.

If you really want to save money, don't be afraid to buy something that is ugly, cosmetically damaged, or both... as long as it plays well and sounds good and feels like a good fit for you. If the body shape is awkward, move on to another. You should be able to find a number of options in your price range. Don't buy the first thing you come across... take the time to find something you like. GC tends to be a little pushy with sales, so watch for the "yeah, that's our last one, and I just had a guy in here looking at" kind of ploys. Good luck, have fun shopping, and let us know what you end up with!
# 4
duck7264
duck7264
01/25/2013 3:09 am
Thanks lizzard for the Info, will def. keep your advice in mind. I'm really leaning toward a strat type guitar. i already have a Fender Tele MIM and I love it. It is comfortable for me to play, I get that country twang or get some David gilmour out of it. I'm leaning toward a squire surf strat(Sea Foam Green) I really like the way it looks just don't know if it has any quality to it? The choices never end... God I love playing guitar!
# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/25/2013 3:27 am
Happy shopping, Duck!!

Keep us posted!

All best wishes, Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6
RAMZ-47
RAMZ-47
02/18/2013 12:50 pm
Instead of buying a new guitar why not put some tex-mex pickups
and some nice locking tuners on your tele. With a few extras your mex-tele
canbe a really nice guitar and do anything you need it to do.
my2cents.

RAMZ.
# 7
duck7264
duck7264
02/18/2013 4:29 pm
Hey Ramz,

Yea, that is exactly what I decided to do. After thinking about it, it just made more sense to me to do that. I really love my tele, the way it feels when I play it and the way it just fits me. With a few upgrades I will have a new guitar and one that I know I really like as well. Thanks for the input.

Duck
# 8
Goncalo Crespo
Goncalo Crespo
02/18/2013 5:28 pm
This is a question that has been asked time and time and time again.

It really all comes down that what your playing style, preference, tunes you play, short and long term goals are.

I would highly recommend you go through some of the very finest tutorials the net or even some of the industry magazines have to offer.

I'm sorry it I seem like I don't want to help, but I really believe if you follow the so much discussed tried and true method and think a little for yourself you will find what you were lookign for.

And don't forget in the end, it's a trial and error approach. You can do your best to get in the ballpark, but you will learn immensely after you play the guitar for some time and realize what you like and don't like.
# 9
13Jason13
13Jason13
02/19/2013 2:20 am
I think the Bands you like will let you know what to buy. IF you are a Clasic Rock fan you need a Les Paul and a Marshell. SRV and Hendrix will land you a strat. Metalica fans will go after EMG and a Floyd Rose. Country twang is full on Telcaster. SoI like to check out my Fav. Guitar slinger and base me rig and guitar off of what I like to hear and more than likely want to play. As for the price range look for something Loved and play it!
# 10
maggior
maggior
02/19/2013 2:29 pm
I think you made a wise choice. The most important factor about the guitar you use is how it suits you as a player. Matching the guitar to the style of music is a guideline, but certainly not an absolute. Iron Maiden use strats. Joe Bonamassa (blues guy) uses Les Pauls. The lead guitarist in a friend's band used a telecaster exclusively. He played Pink Floyd, Rush, and Van Halen songs with it.

So you can make the guitar sound as you want.

I reinforced this with myself the other day. I'm working on Life in the Fast Lane, which was played on a Strat. I happened to be using my Les Paul working on the rythm part and thought "yeah, this needs a little more twang...my strat would be better for this". Without thinking about it, I knocked the mid control on my amp up and voila, I had the harsher twang I needed. I was very surprised at how easily I could match the tone using my les paul, which has humbuckers.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.