Enter Sandmann / Metallica

wolbai
wolbai
12/27/2012 5:12 pm
Actually I am not at all a Heavy Metal fan and guitar player.

But Enter Sandman is an awesome song and a challenge for every guitar player / band, if the song is going to be well performed.

With Songs on that calibre I like to record to dive into them. This is a smart way to learn them AND to gain sometimes a quite reasonable recording at the end.

I have used a playback for the recording containing Vocals, Bass and Drums. The playback sounds good to me and it is free of charge:

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/metallica/enter_sandman_%283%29.htm

The first part is recorded with the 6-string Acoustic Model Gibson J-200 on my James Tyler Variax JTV69. I have used a little Flanger and Chorus as effects.

For the Rhytm guitar and Leadpart I am using the Soldano Overdrive Full Amp Modell of my Line6 POD HD500 with standard cab/mic. For later Live performance I will use the Pre Amp Models and my DT50/212.

I have experienced that my live presets usually are quite different to recording presets, because this actually a different level of acoustic challenges. The guitar model for these parts are played with the Lester-1.

For the Rhytmn-part I have used a 20ms delay on one channel post amp and a little Chorus (Dimension - SW2+3 are off and with 15% mix).

In front of the amp I am using my standard distortion pedal Screamer with a Drive at 35%, both for Rhytmn and Leadpart.

I have EQed the Rhytmn guitar in Cubase to achieve a good sound balance between Bass and guitar.

The recording was done with my Line6 POD HD500, an audiointerface and Cubase recording software.

The Leadpart with a Wah-Wah (Wheeper) is more improvised and somehow a Quick&Dirty recording. Some licks are from the original. But this mix of having some choatic wildness is what this song actually needs, I guess. The original solo sounds also heavily imrprovised to me. So I think it is ok not to play very hard along the Original track.

The Scales for the Leadparts are typical Heavy metal (as far I can see with my limited knowledge of Heavy metal music and guitar playing):

- Em Aeolean-Mode
- F# Phrygian-Mode

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12043949&q=hi&newref=1

I am interesseted in any feedback to the sound and playing style. Especially in the Rhytmn- and Leadpart guitar sound, because this is not my natural home base.

Thanks for reading and listening.

wolbai
# 1
JJ90
JJ90
12/27/2012 11:42 pm
Hey Wolbai,

As a Metallica-fan myself I had to reply ofcourse! I really enjoyed your cover!

I also use guitarbackingtrack.com a lot. It has some great free backing tracks, otherwise I'm usually using Youtube.

Enter Sandman was one of the first song I learned on guitar but I didn't actually learn to solo so my feedback maybe a little dull lol. I thought your tone and sound were fantastic! The intro guitar sounded great and the rhythm guitar also had a solid tone. The solo however, matched Kirk Hammett's sound perfectly in my opinion! What a great sound.

I personally enjoyed your version of the solo, so keep up the good work.

I'm not that good at giving useful feedback but just wanted to let you know.

JJ
# 2
wolbai
wolbai
12/28/2012 11:31 am
Hi JJ90,

thanks for your well meaning feedback!

Guitar sound for recording and Live-Giging is different:

I have got some good tips from other forums how to achieve a "wall of sound" with the Rhythm guitar recording: I had 6 guitar tracks for the Rhytm part by just copying the first track; they are panned in the stereo panorama with slightly different EQs. That gives you a rich Metal tone for the Rhythm part.

For Live-giging with my Band ( I am the only guitar player) I try to produce this "wall of sound" with a little delay (20ms) on the 2nd channel of my POD HD500. And I am using a little chorus effect post amp.

Any additional tips for recording and / or Live performance for Heavy Metal from other Users are still very welcome.

wolbai
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.