Old Fat Fingers

TrickyRick00
Full Access
TrickyRick00
Full Access
09/13/2012 5:01 pm
I have been learning guitar for almost a year now. I am 53 yrs old and have large fingers. I bought an Epiphone JP Studio Goth because of its wide neck and general feel. It is easier to play than most of the others I have tried but when it comes to some 4 finger cord I just cant get my fingers to spread out enough and as far as barre cords I am stumped. I do the stretches shown here before playing and have even made a few up for individual fingers trying to get them to spread out like I want them to. I know everyone says it comes with practice but I am not seeing it. I practice every day. Any suggestions? Am I too far along to make them work?
-----------------------------------------
Proud owner of a 1978 Peavey T-60 and a 2006 Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth. Now how do I play Stairway to Heaven..
# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/14/2012 12:35 am
Not to worry - that is a lot to ask of your fingers with just one year of playing under your belt. I'd focus on the zillions of things you can do with open chords for now, and let your fingers continue to gain stretch and dexterity over time.

Wishing you all the best of luck!!
-Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
haghj500
haghj500
09/14/2012 1:30 am
A few years back i broke my pinky on my left hand. When it healed it didn't have the same reach as it did before. So when i watched tv or a movie I would put my elbo on the arm of my chair, open my fingers in a V under my chin and rest my head with 3 fingers on one side of my chin and my pinky on the other. Sitting there my fingers would relax allowing my chin to slip deaper into the V between my fingers spreading myb\ fingers futher a part. After doing that foe a while each day I got most of my reach back,

Don't rush it or push down with your head, the more you can relax your hand the more your chin your force them a part.

Try it for three weeks, then see if your reach in creases.You can't tell if you do it daily.
# 3
TrickyRick00
Full Access
TrickyRick00
Full Access
09/14/2012 1:44 am
Thanks LisaMcC For the response. My friends that play in bands said the same but it's just a bit agrivating not getting the pinky to stretch. I will keep on trying. Guitar Tricks has done wonders for my playing so far. Just have to get that pinky on track.

So I will try haghj500's suggestion. With the exercises taught here and the haghj500 TV relaxation method maybe I will get those crazy cords ....
-----------------------------------------
Proud owner of a 1978 Peavey T-60 and a 2006 Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth. Now how do I play Stairway to Heaven..
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.