JVM410H Too Much?

JohnGeiss
Full Access
JohnGeiss
Full Access
09/09/2012 1:08 pm
Here's the delima: I'm going to get a tube amp, and pretty much my mouth is watering over the Marshall JVM410H stack. But realistically, this is going in my bedroom-converted-to-a recording studio and will never be on a stage. And I hear that tube amps need to be cranked up to sound their best. So if I keep the volume low enough so that only the people in my neighborhood are annoyed and not rattling windows in the next state, will I not be able to get the best tone from that amp?

I play every era of Rock 'n Roll with a dozen different guitars, and write and record my own stuff too. Really want the 4 channel flexibility of the JVM410 and am counting on using the MIDI switching from my FX board. And, honestly, that half (or maybe full) stack with the white "Marshall" name is just going to add more "cool factor" to the studio. But ultimately it comes down to how it will SOUND, so am I about to make a $3k mistake?
# 1
haghj500
haghj500
09/09/2012 6:37 pm
In My opinion, yes big amps sound much better cranked up. Back in 1979 I bought a 400W.RMS SUNN Model T tube amp I ran through a SUNN 4 12 cabinet. Once I got that thing passed 1.5 or 2 it SCREAMED!!. Back then I paid $915.00 for the head and $400.00 for the speaker box. Marshallā€™s back then were much the same, they just sounded better turned up. Again my opinion.

If your dream is like mine was, to have a Hugh kicking amp you may not be happy with less.

But for real and recording, some of the smaller Marshall amps today make great sound, add a peddle and save $1,500.00 and have something that works great for what you really want to do with the amp most of the time.
# 2
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
09/09/2012 7:40 pm
I don't know that amp but having a master volume on the amp is a neat feature. You put everything at max, including volume, then at the end of the signal the master volume makes the tone neighborhood friendly. I read somewhere that you lose some dynamics on some master volume amps though.
There are master volume pedals/attenuator out there also that I heard work great for attenuating and staying truer to your original "fully loaded" sound at lower volumes.
# 3
JohnGeiss
Full Access
JohnGeiss
Full Access
09/10/2012 10:28 pm
Thanks, folks. Guess I'll have to play a few with one of my guitars to see how is sounds. Maybe go with the 50w version....
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.