Learning A Guitar Solo

Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
04/10/2002 4:50 pm
Hi

I wonder if it´s imporant when learning a guitar solo to learn it note for note, 100%. My opinion is NO but I wonder what you guys think. Also is there advantage our disadvantage when you don´t learn a solo 100%?

PS: Do you have any guitar (technique) videos our guitar books to suggest.

Thanks
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 1
FretSlug
FretSlug
04/10/2002 5:30 pm
I think it's ofcourse good to learn the whole solo but it is not necessary. I myself try to learn always the whole solo, yes the boring parts too because it gives me the concept of how to make a great solo If you understand what I'm trying to say here.. :P

And yes, John Petrucci's Rock Discipline.. It rulez.
"If practise makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practise? Duh.."
# 2
TheDirt
TheDirt
04/10/2002 5:46 pm
That totally depends on who you're playing for and what you're playing. For example, if you're playing Knockin' on Heaven's Door (the GnR version) to a big fan of 80s music, you may want to play the solos note for note. However, when you're playing for a bunch of teens (or just people that don't know the songs that well) you can do what my band does. We start a song, then totally improvise the solos. A good idea would be to mix the two.

One good reason to learn full solos is that if it's a famous song and many listener's find the solo great, then there must be something good about it. You may find some parts "boring", but but the listeners like it. Maybe repeating a lick four times, or doing a pentatonic roll is lame to you, but you have to think about pleasing the listener. If you get a case of "Guitarist's Block" where you can't think of anything to improvise, you can always fall back on the original solo.

Try doing the first few opening phrases to a solo, and improvised part, and the last couple phrases. It helps establish the song in the listener's mind, while still allowing you to throw in your own twist.

For guitar videos, take a look at Eric Johnson's Second video (Eric Johnson: The Fine Art of Gutiar 2, I think). It's in a white box with two video cassettes, if that helps. It's not all that advanced or complicated, but it really helped me think differently about chords and arpeggios. Rather than doing a 6-string sweep, it sometimes sounds better to do a three-note wide-spread arpeggio.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 3

04/11/2002 4:36 pm

A lot of guitarists can play a solo note for note, not a lot can do an improve solo that sounds as good.

I'm a strong beleiver in improv. in everything. TheDirt suggestion of knowing the original solo to have something to fall back on is really great. Some nights you may be in the zone and could screw up a solo real fast.

The great thing about learning the entire solo is that it will teach you timing and different new techniques.

I would suggest learn the original solo for learning purpose but improvise on it in jam sessions. When you feel confortable with improv, try it on stage.
# 4
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/12/2002 12:58 am
Some solos are perfect: try Alex Lifeson's second solo from La villa strangiato (Group=Rush, album either of Exit stage left or Hemispheres). I heard a very different version (by Steve morse) on a tribute album (Workijng man - magna carta records - brilliant album), it was a cracking solo but I was really disapointed, I felt like he'd desecrated a work of art. This said Steve Morse is a fabulous player.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.