View post (The music store experience)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
04/13/2002 6:12 am
About a year ago I went into the store I usually go to to try out some guitars. I told them that I didn't have any money to buy a guitar at the time, but that I was wanting to upgrade from my Squier eventually so I was interested in checking out brands, etc. Well, they basically gave me free reign of the shop, including plugging in to any amp I asked them about - I even played a 1965 (about) vintage strat that was in the window, because one of the guys was really excited about it and told me I had to play it and listen to "a real guitar". They knew that I couldn't afford anyhting, but they knew that after that experience they were the firstt place for me to go when I wanted a new guitar. Now, every time I go in, they ask me how my guitar (I bought it around Christmas) is and always automatically give me discounts on strings etc. That's what I call good salesmanship; always being helpful and happy letting me browse when I have no money, because they know that when I do I will turn to them first. They even recommend other stores if they don't have what I'm looking for - there's a Fender dealer around the corner which is better for getting parts from them, for example.
I wish more stores were like that, though I seem to get good luck in stores in Melbourne.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".