View post (The music store experience)

View thread

James8831
James8831
04/12/2002 5:21 pm
Originally posted by kingdavid
RASK:There was this guy at a poolroom I played.We were playing a loser pays game.So he steps up to the table and starts phucking around like he doesn't know s***.Then asks if I would like to play a loser pays.And who I'm I to say no.He breaks.NO.He misses the ball like he's a complete novice.I take my turn and pot a ball or two.He takes his turn.I'm contemplating telling him how to hold the cue-stick,when suddenly his fingers land on the table in distorted positions like he has some sickness or something.Hands stable as hell.I got whipped.Jump shots,crazy spins,off-cushions,the works.
Your story reminds me of this guy.
Man!!

I was in the opposite position. I watched this young(er) guy beat my 2 friends hollow..then stepped up with the classic "er,would you mind racking up, I cant quite remember how they go" He thought i was an even bigger dickhead and subconciously slackened his attitude.. he'd been beating people all night, so i felt good when i beat him--- these days i doubt if CAN remeber how to rack up :).

Now back on to topic, today i was in 2 guitar shops looking at amps. In the first one this young [what the hell is that on your head young man?] guy,proceeded to demonstrate an amp to me which was completely out of my price range, with no attempt to offer me a go,after some cajoling he kindly demo'd the other amp they had (again with no attempt......).

The underlying attitude being we'd rather get back to stock checking/playing pokemon/spanking the monkey.

The shop was empty apart from him and his boss. Is this a good attitude to attract sales??, i thought as i left.

In the second shop (busy) I asked a guy in his fifties (co-owner i think) about amps and he almost brushed me off (more understandable) but i persisted and asked for a go.

When he found out I had a Gibson he became a little more interested.

the reasons that i didn't go in fully confident and saying let me test the xyz123RC2a are that i wanted to see what the attitude of local music shops was like these days,secondly i may LIKE a little advice as i know less than sod-all about amps and thirdly i have the flu.

In saying the above i fully realise that "if you don't ask you don't get" and that shop owners have their own things to do when customers aren't there.

In the larger shop's i have been into I usually get a "can I help you" and invited to test their favourite amp - which can be equally offputting, to some people- but is more likely to attract sales.

Imagine i'm a 14/15 yr old who know nothing about playing/gear and i go into a shop and get that attitude i may not bother at all and would probably,at least avoid those shops in future - i won't as i can make allowances.
For the record my more recent jobs were in Customer Services,so i may be more sensitive to lack of the same.

Basically, dont you catch more flies with honey than vinegar?

BTW
I found that (no surprise) a Laney LC15R will whoop a 30 watt Fender (champion I think) and be EXTREMELY careful of build quality if you look at Epiphone LP Studios [the guitar i used -which is the nearest they had to my Gibbo].

Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..