View post (Do we need pain to be creative?)

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
04/09/2002 9:46 am
I imagine this has ever come up in this forum.But then again,I was going through some older threads and saw names that I don't see lately.So maybe those of us who are presently active wold like to talk about it.
The idea that pain,trauma makes us function as musicians.
I've read somewhere that Tchaikovsy was gay at a time when society was not so liberal,and he expressed the pain he went through by hiding his lifestyle through his music.Even today in some societies,like mine,you're not gonna be openly gay and live a normal life.Not here.
I also read that Beethoven's father used to beat him so bad,it's how he became deaf(or was it Morzart?one of the two.pardon my lack of historical whatever).And he too escaped his reality throuhg music.
Very often,and even on this forum,people who are musicians one way or another mention being bullied,teased,whatever in thier childhoods.I wonder if it's a mere coincidence or there's more to it.I also went through both,but I'm right now I'm so f***ing cool,Whirlpool should use me as acontrol experiment when they test their fridges.:)
And look at all the artists who've commited suicide,become commited into institutions and stuff.
It's also been said that musicians are normally extra creative after break ups and things like that.
Are we such a bunch of pitiful souls or what?Do we need to be hurt to be good at what we do?
On a statistical level,would bying your kids,say,a guitar and then beating the hell out of them make musicians.
These thoughts disturb me.
Really disturb me.