Rusty strings...

caponi14
caponi14
07/16/2012 9:38 am
hello folks. iv been pissed by this for a very long time now, and i have tried a good amount of things now, to prevent the stringrust that keeps hitting my guitars....It don't matter if i have quality strings or not, it's the same thing, the rust comes back within a week.

I don't really know what to do about this...

The rust only comes to noticed across the fretboard from 1 to 22 fret. When you look past the nut (on the whole headstock) the strings are totally fine and healthy. Same goes for the bottom of the strings. when you go past the 22 fret they become healthy again. It would seem to be something thats wrong with my fretboards, but what?

I have tried lemon oil. I have tried to wash my hands. I have tried to put them in the case. I have tried to wipe down the strings with a cotton cloth.... What can i do? I have heard that you can buy a dehumiditytiser? But can you live in the same room where on of those are?

I live in Denmark. So the humidity should not really be that crazy.

Im pretty lost folks. HELP ME!?

Thank you :)
# 1
compart1
compart1
07/16/2012 4:22 pm
Hey Caponi..
I found this, but I can't vouch for it..
Dunlop Ultraglide 65 String Cleaner & Conditioner, shields strings against tarnish and corrosion..
I have put silcon gel packets in my guitar case. But discontinued use for fear of having guitar to dry...
Elixar has some strings that are coated.. That might be the answer..
Hope you get the problem corrected..
# 2
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
07/16/2012 5:09 pm
Someone told me last week that Elixir when they invented the nanoweb and polyweb coating they didnt make there own strings. They used daddario strings.
I dont know if its still the case.
Elixir and daddario add an agreement and daddario were not to use that technologie on there strings for a number of year.
Now is that true, I dont know, but d'Addario do have coated strings now and i think i'm gone try the d'addario coated strings to compare with the elixir (wich I have been using for a while now). D'addario strings are cheaper so it would be a pretty cool thing to know.
Ernie ball also has some good coated strings too.
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/16/2012 5:48 pm
You should probably give us more info on your guitar...

How much do you play it?
Where do you keep it when you aren't playing it?
Do you leave it out of the case?

It may not be "rust", but just general dirt build-up.
# 4
caponi14
caponi14
07/16/2012 8:52 pm
I play alot. Some days. When i decide to pick up the guitar im sitting with it for about 4 hours or something. Im just keeping them on the wall in my room? (my room is heat isolated, don't know if it has anything to do with it)

I have a Gibson Les Paul and 2 Epiphone Les Pauls. It happens to all of them. Maybe it's just my lame fingers sweating like crazy? It might be dirt yes.... I don't know. It pisses me :(
# 5
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/16/2012 10:26 pm
My guitar does the same thing and I also leave it out. Having it out exposes it to the elements. Even the air around the room can affect it, especially after a long play session where sweat gets on the strings. Putting it in a case helps, but makes it inconvenient to pick up and play.

Strings aren't meant to last a long time. Replacing them every 2 weeks if you play a lot is not uncommon. I change mine about once a month and I play with dirty strings most of the month.
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/16/2012 10:45 pm
Rust...or tarnish?

In any case, after each playing I wipe down my guitars *and* the strings and fretboard with a clean, dry cotton cloth. And once a week, I use a device called, "The String Cleaner - the ultimate string cleaning tool" made by ToneGear (see here, http://www.thestringcleaner.com/ ). Amazon offers 'em for $11, http://www.amazon.com/The-String-Cleaner-by-ToneGear/dp/B001FSZR4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342478176&sr=8-1&keywords=the+string+cleaner .

I seldom have what I call tarnish on my acoustic strings (Elixir Nanoweb) but when I do the pad gets rid of it. I haven't noticed any discoloration on the electric's strings but they get the same treatment each weekend too.

FYI, I find The String Cleaner very quick and easy to use...cleans 360° and no solutions/liquids.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
caponi14
caponi14
07/16/2012 11:31 pm
Good to know that im not the only one. I don't really know what Tarnish is? :)
# 8
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/17/2012 1:23 am
Originally Posted by: john of MTRust...or tarnish?

In any case, after each playing I wipe down my guitars *and* the strings and fretboard with a clean, dry cotton cloth. And once a week, I use a device called, "The String Cleaner - the ultimate string cleaning tool" made by ToneGear (see here, http://www.thestringcleaner.com/ ). Amazon offers 'em for $11, http://www.amazon.com/The-String-Cleaner-by-ToneGear/dp/B001FSZR4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342478176&sr=8-1&keywords=the+string+cleaner .

I seldom have what I call tarnish on my acoustic strings (Elixir Nanoweb) but when I do the pad gets rid of it. I haven't noticed any discoloration on the electric's strings but they get the same treatment each weekend too.

FYI, I find The String Cleaner very quick and easy to use...cleans 360° and no solutions/liquids.[/QUOTE]

That actually looks really cool. How long does it last? I assume it would get dirty pretty quick. Wouldn't want to be buying a ton since they are $11 each.

[QUOTE=caponi14]Good to know that im not the only one. I don't really know what Tarnish is? :)

Dirt, gunk, rubish, grime, crud, filth, muck, etc
# 9
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/17/2012 2:26 am
I got The String Cleaner as a a Christmas stocking stuffer. Since then, once a week use on two guitars hasn't left it with any noticible dirt on the microfiber cleaning pads although their color may not be as bright as when new. My daily guitar hygiene of clean hands and wiping down the strings with a cloth may explain why I haven't seen any accumulation on the pads. FYI, recommended use is "after every use of your guitar" which I don't do.

Note that the pads are cleanable; "Clean once every 2 months or anytime the instrument is restrung. Lightly hand wash with warm water and a drop of liquid soap. Gently pat dry with a cloth or paper towel and leave open to air dry..." I haven't done that either but it sure sounds like the device is going to last along time.

The only negative I can come up with is that the device won't slide all the way to the nut given the action on my guitars. But it does get right up to or on the first fret.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 10
caponi14
caponi14
07/17/2012 8:39 am
I actually have that device. My strings are still doomed.... Ah well. I think i will have to live with it i guess. But before that i will try a new round of things. :p
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.