Help to get situated?

dalduque
dalduque
05/26/2012 10:38 pm
In all honesty, all I know is how to play chords. And I play them well. Even barre chords.

What I want to do is get my guitar to my next level. I want to understand it better, learn to play John Mayer's style for example. I want to learn how to improvise. Do weird "augmented" chords. My barre chords don't sound all the strings well for example.
Somebody tell me where should I start?
I'm lost...
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/27/2012 12:06 am
Core learning system....fundamentals?

Looks pretty self explanatory and I'm not even a full member.

Click "lessons"

Click "core learning system"

Click where it says "Start Here"

If you are already past that stuff, then go to the Rock Style lessons (or whatever style you want).
# 2
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
05/27/2012 2:09 pm
The fundementals videos are a very good way of building a strong fundations, or filling the holes if you are a many years self thaught guitar player. Then I would do the blues style lessons. One of the instructor , Anders, did an awesome job in the impro department in the blues section.
# 3
haghj500
haghj500
05/27/2012 5:12 pm
This is just my "guess" of course, but it sounds like you have about 3 months of practice under your belt. Why? Well in that amount of time most people have learned there open cords and are starting to get the bar chords to sound right most of the time. You can also play a hand full of songs, so your head thinks lets go.

So, if you were to play that hand full song for others, would they enjoy listening to them?

That's not a silly question; it's a skill you need to acquire before moving on to advanced things. Your brain can only freely do so many things at one time, if it is still thinking about all the small things to play a song it is not free to think about how to put other sounds into what you play.

You can learn the pentatonic scale, then play a backing track and try to jam along, but really you need to get the basics down first, so when you play the scale your ears can hear some notes just don't fit into the song right there even though they fit fine on the last chord.

Most people it takes between 6 months and a year for them to be able to play well enough for others to site and listen to them and want to stick around for the next song to be played.

Put in the practice time, watch some of the Great vid's on this site about chords and music theory.

Then you will play leads others will want to stick around to hear you in the next song. You can not rush guitar!!!

Good luck.
# 4
dalduque
dalduque
05/27/2012 5:58 pm
I've been playing for like a year. No music theory, however. I know how to play many amounts of songs with barre chords and all that. I play them very well, don't get me wrong.

That's why I said all I know is how to play "chords." Pretty much. I wouldn't be able to play lead; I'd be able to play rhythm guitar if one would give me the chords. I wouldnt be able to figure them out myself, for example.

Thanks for everyone's inquires,
# 5
haghj500
haghj500
05/28/2012 7:09 am
Sounds like I miss "guessed"
Scrole back up to the top. You see Account, Bookmarks, Histort and logoff. Just after that is a red box area with different icons. The first one that looks like sheet music, click it and a Window will open. There you can find scales, along the bottom click the Show pattern view and the Display scale steps.

You can make it show all the notes of a key most of the way up the neck. You can even show the scales using different keys. Send some time looking around in there.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.