Stuck in a rut! Can anyone help???

AndyP
AndyP
04/04/2002 3:38 pm
Hi everyone! Just joined guitar tricks. Can anyone give me any advice on how to become a better player? I've been playing for about 6yrs but haven't made much progress for about 4yrs. I've got loads of guitar books+mags but lots of them are not very helpful and I struggle to convert tab to something that sounds like it's supposed to. I know techniques like bends, hammers, slides, harmonics and some scales but don't really know how use them properly, my improvisation sounds awful. The only reason I'm not really terrible is because my friends drag me through songs but my friends who started at the same time as me all sound very professional and I'm starting to get in the way during jams. Help! Even practicing is becoming a drag because of my lack of progress. Is there some secret that nobody has told me? I'm on the verge of selling my guitar and taking up the triangle!
# 1
HELLion
HELLion
04/04/2002 4:35 pm
don`t even dare to think about selling ur guitar... u will be sorry after a while... trust me... try to find a good teacher or ask ur friends for help... be patient, every guitarist has experienced some "no-progress" problems, with time and a lot of exercise u will move to next level... just don`give up!!! i`m playing guitar now for about 9 years, and yes, I still suck... :) my friends are telling me that I play pretty well, a 30 year old drummer said I have talent... still i think i suck... :)I am not good at giving advices, but u can`t stop it... especially not now, after 6 years... :)
...†cruelty brought thee orchids†...
# 2
James8831
James8831
04/04/2002 7:46 pm
Originally posted by HELLion
don`t even dare to think about selling ur guitar... u will be sorry after a while... trust me

DAMN STRAIGHT!!.

Keep your guitar.. you need inspiration ask your mates about what new bands they like or listen to the stuff that got you started. I almost switched to Keyboards after buying a ****e Marlin guitar, which put me off so much i traded up to an Ibanez (which I still have after 15 years)and THEN was worried about playing it so switched, but couldn't play the keyboards.. I was very confused at the time.

I suggest going on a break somewhere and not taking the guitar with you..think about it when you're away and how much you miss it.

Alternately, go back to basics and practic(s)e getting a rock solid rythym on simple [open] chords.

Don't even look at the books,for a while, too much book work CAN addle the brain.

Filter out the stuff that's draggin at you, if you can, and when you play concentrate really hard on your playing- force yourself..even if it's only a few minutes a day.
Keep on keepin on :)
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 3
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
04/05/2002 1:59 pm
Take a break, listen to some music you really love, even if no else does, if you have technique don't worry so much about practice, people tend to get so addicted to practice they forget about music, play guitar to please yourself, when you pick up the guitar just play, and I mean play like a little kid, not worrying about anything else, no pressures, no cares, play for the moment and when you get bored or frustrated put it down and walk away.....
# 4
fender_tukman
fender_tukman
04/11/2002 2:47 am
I suck too
# 5
river
river
04/11/2002 3:11 pm
go find ya a teacher. i been playin for a long
time and have trouble findin guys who know more
than me but i still learn and its good in the
long run to get input like that. i take lessons
for a few weeks couple times a year still. always
will. gives me new perspectives and keeps me from
gettin into ruts.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.