Struggling with left hand speed

willt1
willt1
05/12/2012 4:44 am
I'm struggling to get my left hand moving quickly when just picking. i can make chord transitions quickly but when it comes to single notes i just cant seem to get an quicker no matter how much i practice. Any idea to help me would be greatly appreciated.
# 1
brenoazzi
brenoazzi
05/12/2012 8:50 am
With a metronomer, practice at slow speed, too slow, about 50 bpm.

Then increase a little bit to 55 bpm, then to 60, and so on, until you reach the original bpm of the piece or exercise. Sometimes i like to pass the original bpm, because if i can play at a faster speed, it will be more easy to play at the original tempo.

Man, don´t be hurry. All the notes must sound clear, all the techniques must be executed with perfection. And only after this you must go to the next level and increase the bpm.

Remember, to play well, you don´t need to play fast. Some of the best pieces of all the times are at slow tempos.

Hope this can help you. See ya!
:) Azzi.

Be kool and stay free.
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/12/2012 4:04 pm
Originally Posted by: brenoazziWith a metronomer, practice at slow speed, too slow, about 50 bpm.

Then increase a little bit to 55 bpm, then to 60, and so on, until you reach the original bpm of the piece or exercise. Sometimes i like to pass the original bpm, because if i can play at a faster speed, it will be more easy to play at the original tempo.

Man, don´t be hurry. All the notes must sound clear, all the techniques must be executed with perfection. And only after this you must go to the next level and increase the bpm.

Remember, to play well, you don´t need to play fast. Some of the best pieces of all the times are at slow tempos.

Hope this can help you. See ya!

I agree. My reading about guitar and my own experience has shown the use of a metronome helps greatly. Start slow, get the playing down *very* well and then increase the speed just a bit (I do low-single digit percentage increases). Another technique is to gradually increase speed during the playing of the scale/passge/tune. The GT metronome works well for both of these methods.

Scales and other flexibility exercises, e.g., finger gym, can do wonders too. Incorporate 'em into your daily practice. Use the same metronome techniques.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
haghj500
haghj500
05/12/2012 6:53 pm
It my not be your hand speed as much as doing different things at the same time. Sounds strange but give this a try to test.

Right hand taps your head and don't stop, left hand rubs your belly while still tapping your head. Now with the hand rubbing your belly tap your first finger while still rubbing. So you have 3 things going on at the same time.

Then try it with your 2nd, 3rd and forth.

Now reverse that, left hand taps belly while right rubs head and taps fingers.

It's kind of like a drummer playing different rythems with each limb. It's hard a first to get your right hand to beat the hi-hat in a different timing than you right foot is thumping the bass.

With time and effort your body will learn.
# 4
caponi14
caponi14
05/14/2012 7:59 pm
:) i got some major troubles with my right hand. Sucks dude
# 5
ferganzo
Full Access
ferganzo
Full Access
05/15/2012 12:03 am
Don't overlook the tension neccessity.

It may be you can use less pressure than you are currently using in your fretting hand. Too much pressure will slow you down.

Just my 2 cents with another possibility.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.