How important is sweep picking in a song, REALLY?

Jahan Honma
Jahan Honma
04/18/2012 9:07 am
What do you think? Is sweeping that important in a guitar solo? I like slow melodic solos over shredding in general, so I don't really require sweeps but a lot of people love that kind of thing. Where do you stand?
Listen to FREE MUSIC from The Legendary Zoltan RIGHT HERE

FaceBook | Twitter | Website | YouTube
# 1
Joe Pinnavaia
Joe Pinnavaia
04/18/2012 10:56 am
It really depends on what style of music or what type of band I'm playing with. If it's with a pop rock band (BREAKERBOX.tv) I will shoot for a more theme developed solo and if it's my own project (joepinnavaia.com) then I do whatever over-the-top thing I can pull of - Mainly for my own enjoyment. I'm really not very good at sweep picking but I have my own way of playing arpeggios.
I still feel that singing over a track to build a melody is best for a memorable line or solo. It helps with your melodic development as well.
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
04/18/2012 7:20 pm
That's like asking how important is pepperoni on your pizza.......some people like it, others don't. Not a matter of how "important" it is. It's all opinion.
# 3
Stephen Quinn
Stephen Quinn
04/18/2012 8:43 pm
I agree, it depends on the style and feel of the song. Regular sweeping patterns are not always necessary, but occasionally a short sweep (possibly anacrusis) leading to a powerful and sustained bend can be cool!
# 4
MarcusWiesner
MarcusWiesner
04/24/2012 5:53 pm
I think that arpeggios can be used in all sorts of ways tomake your music sound really unique and out there, with a lot more motion than just normal plucked chords. Sweeping is fun but it's all about the sound that you are going for. Many people think about sweep picking in terms of Yngwie Malmsteen and really fast metal players but really it is just arpeggios, and a really easy way to play them.

Do whatever you want to do, the world is your burrito when it comes to songwriting. I mean, for instance, someone like Bob Dylan obviously thinks that lyrics are of the utmost importance in a song, but many pop singers and really popular music writers don't feel the need to make sense with their lyrics at all very frequently. Like the Gorillaz, or even Lady Gaga, or the Black Eyed Peas, I mean frequently their lyrics don't make too much sense outside of the song.

The difference is if it was a poem, you might not read it, that's what I'm saying. If it was just the music alone, you might give it a listen because it's interesting frequently. But if Bob Dylan wrote a poetry book, you'd probably read it. However, if it was just his guitar playing alone you might not listen to a lot of it because it is just chords on a guitar and a harmonica. So those are just two different philosophies about music and lyrics. So just follow your nose.

But I would say DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF! If you want to be great, at least be aware and able to do everything you think you might use. So don't limit yourself if you think it's not important, just learn it anyways. It's like music theory.
# 5
Szymon Chudy
Szymon Chudy
07/25/2012 2:03 pm
I think that the most important thing is to understand that sweeping is just a TOOL. Just like knife - you can use it to slicing bread or kill someone. So use it with taste and remember that melody is the most important! :)
# 6
MatthewDelano
MatthewDelano
07/30/2012 3:30 am
MarcusWiesner, neat idea!

Sweeping is a cool technique that can be applied to almost any style of music. One of my favorite uses of sweeping is in the song "CAFO" by Animals As Leaders because it's primarily used as a psychedelic effect. In a electronic song I am working on does something similar to a "sweep". Just use sweeping when it feel necessary, working outside of rock/metal/jazz can introduce different perspectives using your tools.

To answer your question: sweeping may not be that important at all, or be the vital of it. It is a personal decision.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.