Interfacing a guitar to a computer

IzzyPhoreal
IzzyPhoreal
03/12/2012 10:58 pm
I would be intersted in knowing how others connect their guitars to their computers, what issues they may have encountered, their preferences, etc.

I perform regularly in a virtual world called Second Life, and this is my setup.

Guitar -> VoiceLive 2 -> Digitec RP500 -> Alesis Mixer - MAudio 2496

The purpose of the guitar signal going to the VoiceLice2 is the permit the analysis of the key that is playes, so the generated harmonies coum out in tune.

The output of the MAudio sound card is streamed to the internet by a broadcaster program (I use SAM, from Special Audio). I stream at 128 kb/s, at a resolution of 44.1Khz. Needless to say, the quality is pretty good.

I also do recording using Sonar Producer X1 from Cakewalk.

Let me know what you use...
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
03/14/2012 2:08 am
Hey Izzy, I've use the Pod X3 Live direct to my Mac and got some pretty killer tones:

http://www.myspace.com/bfdneal
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/14/2012 3:02 am
I've used the Line 6 Guitar Port with my Mac Book Pro. It works really well, but requires the Guitar Port be selected as the audio output, so it might not work as well for what you're after. Pretty decent presets though... I'd say for the price its a good value.
# 3
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
03/14/2012 9:49 am
Wow, this is a really fascinating subject - mixing computer technology to enhance guitar playing.

I've been dreaming recently of interfacing a state-of-the-art pc or laptop designed specifically for playing the guitar.

Kind of like building my own personal music studio, so thanks for posting this. I will look into this virtual world you've been using.

In the mean-time, any other advice as to where to begin will be really appreciated.

Thanks, everyone ;)

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/15/2012 3:27 am
Well, I think you can see in detail what I use here >>

:D

I've just recorded about a minute of stuff for a video project I'm doing for work and have had really good luck with the tone etc.
# 5
wingman23
wingman23
03/22/2012 2:52 pm
Well i just plug my guitar into the PC directly using the audio cards input, (the black one) not the red microphone one because that cant handle hot signals, you can buy an adapter that takes the normal size guitar plug that goes into your amp and resizes it smaller to a 3.5 small plug that goes directly into the back of the PC

Then i use either mixcraft or ableton live with a plugin called guitar Rig 5, seems to work very well.

This is how i recorded this, the guitar playing might not be that hot but i hope you think the guitar sound itself is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzscz6dA21E
# 6
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
03/25/2012 12:02 pm
Originally Posted by: wingman23This is how i recorded this, the guitar playing might not be that hot but i hope you think the guitar sound itself is....

You produced that, connected to a PC?

I can sure you it sounds really good!

Thanks for posting.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 7
steve gill
steve gill
03/27/2012 8:50 pm
Originally Posted by: IzzyPhorealI would be intersted in knowing how others connect their guitars to their computers, what issues they may have encountered, their preferences, etc.

I perform regularly in a virtual world called Second Life, and this is my setup.

Guitar -> VoiceLive 2 -> Digitec RP500 -> Alesis Mixer - MAudio 2496

The purpose of the guitar signal going to the VoiceLice2 is the permit the analysis of the key that is playes, so the generated harmonies coum out in tune.

The output of the MAudio sound card is streamed to the internet by a broadcaster program (I use SAM, from Special Audio). I stream at 128 kb/s, at a resolution of 44.1Khz. Needless to say, the quality is pretty good.

I also do recording using Sonar Producer X1 from Cakewalk.

Let me know what you use...

There are some pretty cool apps from apple for their platforms which you can also plug directly into for portable on the road stuff and I have found sonic x a pretty good software platform that uses cakewalk as a root kit...check it out..it will give you more flexibility and portability for recording and tracking. I have also found the Peavey Revalver software AWESOME for amp sampling and remodeling...you can change tube voltages, build your own amps and even move the cones around...great software.
# 8
steve gill
steve gill
03/27/2012 8:54 pm
Originally Posted by: axeman81Wow, this is a really fascinating subject - mixing computer technology to enhance guitar playing.

I've been dreaming recently of interfacing a state-of-the-art pc or laptop designed specifically for playing the guitar.

Kind of like building my own personal music studio, so thanks for posting this. I will look into this virtual world you've been using.

In the mean-time, any other advice as to where to begin will be really appreciated.

Thanks, everyone ;)

Please check out the Peavey software...it is awesome and can model any sound you want from any big band etc complete with presets and you can build your own amps complete with varied tube voltages placement and cone placements...check it out on youtube.
# 9
steve gill
steve gill
03/27/2012 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: wingman23Well i just plug my guitar into the PC directly using the audio cards input, (the black one) not the red microphone one because that cant handle hot signals, you can buy an adapter that takes the normal size guitar plug that goes into your amp and resizes it smaller to a 3.5 small plug that goes directly into the back of the PC

Then i use either mixcraft or ableton live with a plugin called guitar Rig 5, seems to work very well.

This is how i recorded this, the guitar playing might not be that hot but i hope you think the guitar sound itself is....

Please look into the Peavey Revalver software and you can research it on youtube...it's a great computer platform for bhig sound.
# 10
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/24/2012 2:53 am
Recording guitars is a never ending battle, and you can do it so many different ways. In today's music, the raw sound of a guitar direct into a computer is the perfect fit. Other times, the traditional mic'ing of the amp is the way to go. I experiment with different methods all the time and work constantly to improve it.

My go to set up over the past two years is plugging my pedal board into my UA-610 Pre-Amp and then pulling up a simple amp model in Logic with a clean tone. I mix up my effects with those in Logic; and usually I can dial it in. These days, I have opted to mic my amp and go for the tone that way. Both ways have worked well for multiple situations.

Here are some examples of my home recordings with different recording set ups. Keep in mind these were all mixed and mastered, but no amount of mixing or mastering will fix a bad guitar sound.

Search and Rescue
- mixture of a mic'd Fender Super Reverb and my direct set up; plugging my pedal board into the UA and using a Logic amp model.

Full Suspension
- all guitars using a Line 6 Pod XT Live

The Battle Anthem
- clean guitars direct in with Logic effects and amp models
Douglas Showalter
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.