Thanks going out to Tom Finch

Whune
Full Access
Whune
Full Access
03/05/2012 2:44 pm
This is just shout-out of thanks much that you break-down the strumming patterns exactly

for some reason that usually seems to get glossed over in a lot of the song lessons;
at least in my recollection.

You cover it quickly; but thoroughly: saying out loud the exact up and downs
Where as i recall in other lessons the guy would just be like it goes like this, and they'd just do it, slowly sure, but still it's like, wait... what... ok, rewind...

For me the strumming pattern is critical and your including it made all the difference
I learned the progressions and patterns for Magic Carpet ride and Slow Ride
(lol what is it with classic rock and rides?)
way faster than I'd of learned one of them previously.

and that's usually because I'd get hung-up on deciphering the strumming pattern

So thanks for that.

oh also:
kudos for doing lessons on such bad-ass songs
# 1
phillybeatle
phillybeatle
03/06/2012 3:22 am
Yes maybe I should learn Magic Carpet Ride, however next up for me probably will be life in the fast lane. When I said yes I meant I am agreeing with the poster of this thread. Tom does a great job with the strumming pattern on Sister Golden Hair. He also did a good job explaining the pattern on Listen to the music. If you practice his strumming pattern on Listen to the music before you try to play the chords it helps, at least it helped me tremendously. I too have the issue with right hand technique however this site has done it for me. I got slow ride down this weekend. I am so happy.
# 2
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/07/2012 5:03 am
Hey there guys, thanks for the kudos!

I feel that rhythms are much easier to learn when they are presented independently from the chord or chords. I think that it's good to break things down and study their components and then when you put them together you get it more easily and quickly! I have taught for many years and this have proven to be a very effective method.

Right on, keep up all the good work, I mean play!

Cheers, Tom~

Next up... Purple Haze!
# 3
jammer45
jammer45
03/15/2012 10:55 pm
Definately the most fun I have playing guitar! :) I have learned more in the last month than all of my previous lessons in years past. Except for the slide parts I can jam with you on Slow Ride. You rock Tom Finch!
# 4
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2012 9:25 pm
I am glad to hear that you are having fun and learning so much! Keep up the practicing and keep working on the slide playing as well! Thanks for the appreciation...

Happy weekend, Tom~
# 5
shawn75077
shawn75077
07/04/2012 4:56 am
Hi Tom,

Glad to have found your contributions on Guitar tricks. I too appreciate the complete details that you provide in your presentations. I am a struggling beginner, so seeing how such terrific songs are comprised of somewhat simple methods, I am able to remain hopeful of playing some songs in the future. I find the classic rock songs you have chosen to be some of the best!

Regards,

Shawn
# 6
pattyb5
pattyb5
11/12/2012 8:43 pm
Yea, great job! When I listened to that song, I always thought it was a bit much to grasp/figure out the feel- although I love the song. Watching you break it down and count it out, I was able to get it pretty fast. This is a great site!
# 7
Mick Moore
Full Access
Mick Moore
Full Access
03/06/2013 4:08 am
Hi Tom,
Just like to say thanks for your great lessons. Been battling on for a while and learned lots of song riffs and scales but never mastered a full song.

But now I have just mastered the acoustic part of sister golden hair and manage to play a long with the backing track.

It is true! you can teach an old dog new tricks. (50 year old).

I now have my drive back to progress again after losing my way for a few months.

Thanks

Mick
# 8
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/06/2013 4:55 am
Hi Mick, I am very happy to hear that you are enjoying the Guitar Tricks sight and finding new inspiration and motivation! Yes, I believe that it is crucial to keep the learning curve up and keep challenging yourself. I find it very rewarding to play full songs as well as to be able to play scales, jam and improvise! Keep it up!!!

Cheers, Tom
# 9
cardmnal
cardmnal
05/30/2013 6:49 pm
Hi Tom, thanks for creating the lesson for "Rock And Roll Hootchie Koo. When I decided I wanted to learn this song I looked all over for video lessons but nothing sounded right until I found GT. The way you break the song down has made it easy to not just learn but remember. I always struggle with strumming patterns and the way you explain them has me strumming as if I know what I'm doing. I am already, after only a few days, playing the rhythm right along with the jam track. After I clean it up I am going after the lead guitar. Thanks again!
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.