Need some constructive criticism

waylar
Full Access
waylar
Full Access
03/01/2012 7:45 pm
Can you give me some feedback on my guitar playing, thanks everyone. Jeeze I hope I got this right this time, hahaha....
Ron Wayland
# 1
treeder
treeder
03/03/2012 12:06 pm
Can't believe no one has responded yet... this is awsome!! Thanks for sharing
# 2
compart1
compart1
03/03/2012 3:33 pm
Hey Wayler,
Great job.. The tone is not my cup of tea.. Maybe a little cleaner for me..
I liked it better when I raised the treble a tad and lowered the bass about the same amount.
Keep up the good work.
I'm not a pro guitarist, so I hope you get a few more players to critique it for you.
I'm glad you sent your music on this format, now I know where to go to work onmmy own recording.
Keep in picken'
Gordon
# 3
waylar
Full Access
waylar
Full Access
03/07/2012 11:51 pm
Originally Posted by: treederCan't believe no one has responded yet... this is awsome!! Thanks for sharing

I thought it sucked so bad no one would comment, lol. Thanks for your kind response.
Ron Wayland
# 4
waylar
Full Access
waylar
Full Access
03/08/2012 12:14 am
Originally Posted by: compart1Hey Wayler,
Great job.. The tone is not my cup of tea.. Maybe a little cleaner for me..
I liked it better when I raised the treble a tad and lowered the bass about the same amount.
Keep up the good work.
I'm not a pro guitarist, so I hope you get a few more players to critique it for you.
I'm glad you sent your music on this format, now I know where to go to work onmmy own recording.
Keep in picken'
Gordon

Thank you Gordon, I'm no pro either, this was my first time recording(at home) with any decent devices, a difficult and challenging process.
I went out of key on my bends, got sloppy, levels are off, maybe too much distortion, ect. ect. ect. ect. haha!
I just wanted something recorded so I just went with it. I think the loop got pretty old to, no wait, the loop does get old.
I'm happy the format helped you.
Good luck with your recording and everything:)
Ron Wayland
# 5
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/17/2012 3:46 pm
Ron, I thought it was really good! Thanks for sharing.
# 6
wingman23
wingman23
03/21/2012 3:07 am
love the bends even though you said you went out of key. wish i could bend like that and you sound fast too, how can you think that sucks... i wish my playing sucked liked yours then..

Great Job :-)
# 7
string_thumper856
string_thumper856
03/22/2012 1:40 am
Awesome job waylar, love it
# 8
waylar
Full Access
waylar
Full Access
03/22/2012 4:42 am
Thanks wingman23, that means a lot. Just struggling with years of playing and, for the most part not knowing what I'm doing. Just wondering what other people think. Seriously working on the theory tutorials with Christopher, hoping to gain all the important stuff I wouldn't do when I was a teen.
Hope your getting as much from this site as me.
Cheers, waylar
Ron Wayland
# 9
gerriorc
gerriorc
03/22/2012 11:53 am
Absolutely love that song. Love the beat, the sound of the guitar, the bass guitar and sounds like a lot of fun to jam to.

Its been a little "dry" lately with new songs on this site .... and looking for something to get me out of this funk I'm in .... any chance you could share the tabs to the rhythm parts?

Or better yet .... maybe ... and just maybe ... and this is a wacky thinking... but ... you could share with GT folks, and get them to do a lesson vid of the song ... maybe even get paid for sharing... I know just wacky!
# 10
David Bereuther
David Bereuther
03/24/2012 11:15 pm
Listen to the people here! Don't ever think that you suck! ;)
# 11
wingman23
wingman23
03/25/2012 12:46 am
Originally Posted by: waylarThanks wingman23, that means a lot. Just struggling with years of playing and, for the most part not knowing what I'm doing. Just wondering what other people think. Seriously working on the theory tutorials with Christopher, hoping to gain all the important stuff I wouldn't do when I was a teen.
Hope your getting as much from this site as me.
Cheers, waylar

Well whatever you are doing, you are doing it right, and yeah, all ive learned is from this site so you cant go far wrong.

:-)
# 12
Jahan Honma
Jahan Honma
03/28/2012 11:44 pm
Nice. I can tell you are FEELING that guitar.
Listen to FREE MUSIC from The Legendary Zoltan RIGHT HERE

FaceBook | Twitter | Website | YouTube
# 13
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/29/2012 11:20 am
Nice bends. I'm partial to slow, bendy leads, so that sounded great to me. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 14
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
03/29/2012 12:49 pm
I'd lower the volume of the backing track if I were you. It to me is covering your guitar a little more than I like. The playing is great bro! I'm a big fan of Satriani and Eric Johnson and this is going in that direction!
What software are you using to record this? What computer setup? Pedals etc? You've got some very nice tones coming out of my speakers here other than that backing track :D Don't get rid of it COMPLETELY just lower the volume of it... if you can. It seems to override your playing just a bit.
# 15
waylar
Full Access
waylar
Full Access
04/12/2012 11:11 pm
Originally Posted by: gerriorcAbsolutely love that song. Love the beat, the sound of the guitar, the bass guitar and sounds like a lot of fun to jam to.

Its been a little "dry" lately with new songs on this site .... and looking for something to get me out of this funk I'm in .... any chance you could share the tabs to the rhythm parts?

Or better yet .... maybe ... and just maybe ... and this is a wacky thinking... but ... you could share with GT folks, and get them to do a lesson vid of the song ... maybe even get paid for sharing... I know just wacky!
Hey gerriorc, wow that's very cool of you thanks! I will try and send you the tabs, give me a little time. Thank again.

Ok gerriorc lets see if this helps both of us, I hope I got this right!

The rhythm guitar is played in Eminor7 at the 7th fret. Refer to the chord finder, this is how I'm showing you.
Play the bar chord, now release your "G" 2nd string 8th fret and the "B" 4th string 9th fret. With your index finger your playing the notes E, A, D, F#, B in bar form, right? In the chord finder, target the notes in the chord to find out what they are.

Now hammer on the 2 strings G and B to make the whole chord again.
I really just fiddle around with that, play the notes in that chord, G, F#, E 3rd string 9th fret(the only one note not played in the chord) and D, I kind of walk around that.

At end of the measure I hammer off the G 6th string 3rd fret to end on the low E 6th string open.

If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll do a short video on Utube for you, wont take but a minute to show you.

Other than all that, it's not too difficult, just remember the magic chord Eminor7 at the 7th fret and remember to release the G, B and you should figure the rest out.

Happy jammin buddy,
waylar
Ron Wayland
# 16
waylar
Full Access
waylar
Full Access
04/13/2012 1:38 pm
Originally Posted by: hrandersoniiiI'd lower the volume of the backing track if I were you. It to me is covering your guitar a little more than I like. The playing is great bro! I'm a big fan of Satriani and Eric Johnson and this is going in that direction!
What software are you using to record this? What computer setup? Pedals etc? You've got some very nice tones coming out of my speakers here other than that backing track :D Don't get rid of it COMPLETELY just lower the volume of it... if you can. It seems to override your playing just a bit.

Thank you, I used a ZoomHd8. Angry at myself for selling it last year. Now I can't record, soon I will have something better though! I appreciate your comment, thanks again!
Ron Wayland
# 17
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/15/2012 8:56 pm
Overall, I'd say really cool.

I think the only thing I find is less about the bends but some note choices. Seems that some notes earlier on in the peice are not as well chosen. If I had to guess, there were some notes floating about mid-fretboard (12th fret, give or take on the B or high E) that seems a little misplaced and what seems to lead the the feeling about incorrect bends. I did not get that same vibe when you were playing lead stuff in the lower or even higher registers.\ or even when you flipped to the neck pick up.

For lack of any really theory as to why I think this; my theory is that some of those mid/transitional notes work better as a transition and less so as a key note. A note not to be held but a note that leads to another to resolve the melody.

Just my thought...

....but really, small potatoes...Really good stuff. I'd say start looking in to a DAW for recording. You've got skills and I'd say you can expand to some realy nice production if you could get this good of sound off of a portable.

Good stuff.
# 18
gerriorc
gerriorc
04/16/2012 11:54 am
Originally Posted by: waylarHey gerriorc, wow that's very cool of you thanks! I will try and send you the tabs, give me a little time. Thank again.

Ok gerriorc lets see if this helps both of us, I hope I got this right!

Happy jammin buddy,
waylar

Ron ... I thank you. Time to fire up the shot glass, get the tubes warmed up .. sorry neighbors .. its time to make some noise..... this might get loud!
# 19
gerriorc
gerriorc
04/16/2012 12:21 pm
Hey Ron...

In playing around with Em7 at the 7th fret ... keep open all of the strings except for E (5th string) at the 7th fret, B (4th string) at the 9th fret, and G (2nd string) at the 8th, and then arpeggio it, not sure what that is but it adds to it.

Boy is that a fun song to jam to. Thank you again.

~Chris

This site really needs some ...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.