Question about modes.

John825
ForeverInBloom
John825
ForeverInBloom
02/20/2012 3:17 am
Hello, my name is Johnathan and I'm in a guitar club at my high school and the one in charge went over modes and their starting points, as well as the formulas that come for each one and formal names. Anyways, I realize they all have the same notes, but with different tonic centers. My main question; what's the point of modes? I'm somewhat knowledgeable in theory but I'll try to manage to understand any responses I receive. Thanks!
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/20/2012 3:25 pm
Hey, Johnathan. Welcome to GT!
Originally Posted by: John825My main question; what's the point of modes?

Modes have essentially two uses:

1. Positions of the major scale. You can use the modes simply as patterns that cover the entire fretboard and use them to play in one scale in any position. Obviously this is a very powerful visual aid when you are trying to "unlock" the fretboard and move around it everywhere at will.

This tutorial covers the topic in depth:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=370

2. For the same reason you use different chords or scales: to get different sounds.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=770

Have a look at those & see if they help. Ask more questions as necessary. Have fun with the modes. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/20/2012 3:26 pm
Hey, Johnathan. Welcome to GT!
Originally Posted by: John825My main question; what's the point of modes?

Modes have essentially two uses:

1. Positions & patterns of the major scale. You can use the modes simply as patterns that cover the entire fretboard and use them to play in one scale (& therefore one key) in any position. Obviously this is a very powerful visual aid when you are trying to "unlock" the fretboard and move around it everywhere at will.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=370

2. For the same reason you use different chords or scales: to get different sounds.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=770

Have a look at those & see if they help. Ask more questions as necessary. Have fun with the modes. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/20/2012 7:23 pm
Think of modes as different "flavors" or "moods". You can play a C major scale and it will have a certain mood/sound, but start/end the scale on each one of the different notes and you'll find that it creates a uniquely different sound. Even though they are the exact same notes.
# 4
John825
ForeverInBloom
John825
ForeverInBloom
02/23/2012 4:59 am
Thank you! I didn't really think that was the reason/reasons. I thought there would be some kind of concrete explanation behind modes instead of an abstract idea.
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/23/2012 4:17 pm
Originally Posted by: John825Thank you! I didn't really think that was the reason/reasons. I thought there would be some kind of concrete explanation behind modes instead of an abstract idea.

You're welcome.

All the concrete examples & practical application details are in the video lessons of the tutorials. :)

It's possible to get into all kinds of complex & overdetailed explanations of modes. I cover some of those issues in detail in tutorials. But, when you are first introduced to any new topic (for example, modes!), it's best to keep things as basic & fundamental as possible.

Only by building a solid, basic foundation understanding is it possible to grasp more complex aspects of the topic later on. I guarantee if you watch my tutorials on modes, then learn to play & hear all the exercises, you will get that foundation understanding.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
02/26/2012 11:54 pm
Originally Posted by: John825 My main question; what's the point of modes?

Its a really good question... for me, modes is a part of understanding the "why" of things just coming together so that when you come up with something you like, understanding modes may help in understanding what is going on, and how the idea could be repeated or built on elsewhere.

Here's a simple, real world example: First of all, I'm so sorry I can't make a video tutorial of this... I'd really like to but my house is in pieces as we are undergoing a major renovation. However, I think you'll still be able to try this out with just an explanation.

On my Boss DR880 which has drum & bass sounds & preset patterns, I found a medium tempo pattern where the bass did two measures of A, and two measures of F. This riff has a definite minor sound to it, as F is the 6th note in the Am scale. I programmed this pattern to repeat twice, and then switch the bass line to play C (instead of A) to F. This has a definite major sound as F is the 4th note in the Cmaj scale. If you are able, see if you can get the same thing going with a buddy bass player, or a beat-box.

Ok, when you start to solo over it is when things get interesting. I came up with a melodic riff that worked over the A to F pattern... sounded great. What scale am I playing the riff in? A Minor. Then, I continued to play the same riff as the pattern switched to C to F... keep in mind, I'm playing the exact same notes. But now it sounds like I'm playing a Cmaj scale.

Of course most of us know that the notes in Cmaj and Amin are the same, since A is the Relative Minor scale for Cmaj. If we were just sitting with our guitars, I'd emphasize this, and modes, by playing the same notes, but resolving A when wanting to use Amin, and resolving to C when wanting to use Cmaj. But in the jam scenario I described, I'm keeping the riff the same and letting the BASS player set the "mode" so to speak.

I'm sorry if the sounds confusing... it makes a lot more sense when you try it yourself. You could even do it just recording your guitar doing the chords. Its actually a pretty cool sound, and it really does sound like its the lead guitar that's changing from minor to major, when in actuality its the rhythm section. Just one simple way modes can be used creatively.

Hope this helps!
# 7
John825
ForeverInBloom
John825
ForeverInBloom
03/16/2012 8:35 pm
Thank you both for your responses, I have a hang of it now.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.