The Dmajor Chord with the F# sharp in the Bass

Jpin109
Jpin109
02/08/2012 4:00 pm
I noticed alot of people mute the A string when playing this chord. The A is the 5th of the Dchord so why not add and play all 6strings is it because it makes the chord a little muddy. The reason why i bring this up is because i have small hands so its hard for me to wrap my thumb around to play the F# on the 6th string and mute the 5th string. I play the D/F# chord with all six strings.
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
02/08/2012 4:43 pm
Very similar to what was just being discussed in another thread. There really isn't any firm "it must be this way" or "this is right, that is wrong" when creating music. Play the notes that are appropriate for what you want to achieve sonically, and what you're physically able to without compromising the sound quality.
# 2
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
02/11/2012 1:30 pm
That's right, you can definitely play the open A string when playing a D chord. It's not necessary to mute it. A is part of the D major chord (D F# A), so it will technically be a Second Inversion. (The F# in the bass makes it First Inversion.)

It's also true that the F# and open A will sound slightly muddy together (because they're a minor 3rd apart in a low register), but that's a matter of taste and it depends on the situation.

Sometimes it's best to play fewer notes in a chord when in a band situation, since so many other instruments are filling in frequencies.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 3
reldridge
reldridge
03/02/2012 4:27 am
So I'm a complete noob. Picked up this used git-fiddle a few weeks ago. Never touched one before in my life. I've spent the last few weeks fiddling with it, and learn a chord here and there.

Somewhere (probably the internet), I read about "slash" chords. This sounds like one of those. D/F#. If so, then I just altered my fingering. Used my middle finger for the 2nd fret of the G, ring finger for the 2nd fret of the high E, and my pinky for the 3rd fret of the B. Then I used my index finger to mash on the F# (which I think is the 2nd fret of the low E), and used the pad of my index finger to mute the A.

Sounded like a decent chord...

Again, I may be waaaay off base here, but if not, then I thought this might help. :)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.