Amplifier

Leopard502
Leopard502
01/26/2012 11:09 pm
Hi!

I just wanted to ask:In full membership, do you get a lesson which shows you how to set up your amp to sound like rock, blues, metal etc.?

If you don't, then I just bought my electric guitar for nothing because I don't know how to set up my amp so it sounds cool! :(
# 1
zashtone
zashtone
01/27/2012 2:18 am
In my search through the lessons I have seen tutorials with recommendations for set up and effects for different genres.

The only problem is that recommendations can only be generic as amps and guitars will sound different depending on the brand and model. ie. you cant allways make a $300 Amp/ Guitar combo sound like a $3000 set up.

Moreover what sounds cool to you may not be to others. The best thing is to take time and play around with settings.

However having been through this myself the sound is secondary, how you play it is the key, spend your time on the playing and practice and eventually you will work out the setting that you want.

I actually ditched my modelling amp for a simple tube amp, as I found i was spending more time fiddling rather than playing.
# 2
RogerCVC
RogerCVC
01/19/2013 3:50 am
Originally Posted by: zashtoneIn my search through the lessons I have seen tutorials with recommendations for set up and effects for different genres.

The only problem is that recommendations can only be generic as amps and guitars will sound different depending on the brand and model. ie. you cant allways make a $300 Amp/ Guitar combo sound like a $3000 set up.

Moreover what sounds cool to you may not be to others. The best thing is to take time and play around with settings.

However having been through this myself the sound is secondary, how you play it is the key, spend your time on the playing and practice and eventually you will work out the setting that you want.

I actually ditched my modelling amp for a simple tube amp, as I found i was spending more time fiddling rather than playing.

I'm still learning, and had also picked up a solid state modeling amp (Fender G-DEC). Not bad for the money, but It seemed "buzzy" on the cabinet. I'll keep it for a spare.

I tried some tube amps, and picked up a Traynor YCS50 on eBay. Except for their cheapest line, they are made in Canada, have a plywood enclosure rather than cheap particle board that sounds great. You can run it at 18 watts or 50. 18 watts from this is LOUD AS HELL at home! I would buy Traynor again.

Just spend some time with the controls on a tube amp, and you'll find "your" sound. Also, a good music shop won't mind letting you try their amps, and sometimes interesting trade ins come in.
# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/19/2013 1:29 pm
Originally Posted by: Leopard502Hi!

I just wanted to ask:In full membership, do you get a lesson which shows you how to set up your amp to sound like rock, blues, metal etc.?

If you don't, then I just bought my electric guitar for nothing because I don't know how to set up my amp so it sounds cool! :(

There is a small section about "Rock Tone and Gear" (can't remember if it's in Rock Course 1 or 2). But since there's so many ways to set up your sound, it's probably best to experiment using the recommendations in those lessons as a starting-point. I'm pretty sure the Blues Course also covers "Blues Tone and Gear", and in one or more of the Metal tutorials, there's a quick guide to getting a metal-ish sound as well.

But generally, it comes down to personal taste and experimenting with what works well for the song you're playing, as some Rock songs use more Distortion or Overdrive than others.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.