Guitars Big $ or small $

AnneFender
AnneFender
11/29/2011 11:16 am
what to buy , a 400 dollar guitar or a 4000 dollar guitar ,as the owner of 53 guitars ranging in price of 350 to 4200 dollars it matters little , its really on how they feel to you and your needs, case in point i have an ibanez art-core ( 350 dollars ) and a Gibson custom shop ES355 Blk w/ bigsby ( 4000 dollars ) and to be honest the Ibanez walks all over the Gibson , why that is i have no idea , its just a great axe , and the gibson is cool no doubt , but 4 grand for bragging rights ,, now Fenders on the other hand ,, there i do find a huge difference MIM or USA , save up for the USA ,, i have a MIM Strat i just set that up for slide work , its all there good for , again my opinion , but there still a good guitar and when buying a guitar remember its how it feels in your hands , dont let labels sway you
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/29/2011 11:56 am
I would like to say I'd never pay $4k for a guitar, but that is probably not true. I'll probably never be able to afford a $4k guitar, but that's a whole other matter. :)

I find there is a great market in the sub $1k range. But it's like cars. Some folks got to show off, some folks not so much.

Some of it is blatant rip off in my opinion. Generally speaking, you have 2 peices of wood, only one join, some steel wire, and a few bits of electronics. I have trouble getting to $4k from there.

Take a 4 x 12 cab for instance. Koch sells one for $1700. Nothing special in it, it's just a box with 4 speakers. I build some of my own cabs and guitars, and from one $70 dollar sheet of 3/4 inch birch I was able to cut a complete 2 x 12 cab in standard dimensions and a 1 x 12 sized as the Traynor version to fit the Darkhorse amp.

Realizing I still have to add speakers, tolex and grill cloth, I still have a problem getting from $70 to $1700. But some people will "need" that $1700 cab. I guess I would have to call those folks "singularly motivated".
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/29/2011 11:30 pm
PREACH IT!!!!

I agree. I have what???? 7 electrics two of the 7 I built myself. One of the electrics is an old Mosrite that's OOC at the moment, 1 bass and 1 acoustic.

My least expensive guitar is my Kramer Striker. I purchased it off Amazon for something like $240. Then I have my most expensive guitar, my Ibanez S which I think was $700.

Of the guitars I've purchased, my Kramer Striker is my absolute fav. It just has a great feel to it.

My big amp is my 100 watt Peavey Valveking 1/2 stack. It roars. Granted, I've modded the head and purchased different speakers for the cab... I got the head and cab off craigslist (in perfect condition ) for around $500.

I'm a tinkerer. I'd rather buy something less expensive, mod the hell out of, and become zin with it.

Just personal opinion, I have a very hard time seeing the benifit of plunking down multi K $ for a guitar. If so, I'd expect it to come with some extra favors. :D

There is only one guitar out there that I would consider spending multi K $ on and that's the EVH Wolfgang. And that's just because it would be cool to play the same thing that EVH plays. But... Even then, I'd have a hard time coming to terms with that purchase.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/30/2011 11:59 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerPREACH IT!!!!

Me preachy? :D

But I must also confess.... My purchase price has been going up as it is with the most recent being my SG at about $1k (the most I have paid so far). I bet if I had 4 x as much disposable cash, I'd have little problem putting $4k down on a guitar. Perhaps it's just my poverty making me cynical. ...Oh wait, that's character... ...isn't it? :D
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
12/07/2011 4:43 pm
Guitars if taken care of are great investments. I have several guitars I bought through the years and found that if you take good care of the guitar and keep paper work, hang tags etc. you will get your money back plus. I don't buy them for investments as I am a player. But if you decide you want to thin out some of your gear, I don't have problems finding any buyers. Its sort of like buying guns. You can keep them, for awhile and sell them for a profit, if taken care of!!!. My advice is go to the different music stores and try out different models. For me its all about the neck of the guitar. I had a Fender twin reverb for 30 years, played every where with this amp, loading it and it was getting banged up etc. etc. I decided last year to sell the amp as its too heavy for me to lift now. I sold the amp for what I paid for plus. So if you are thinking on these terms, A name might be more money but you can always get your money back. This has been my experience. Good Luck
For What It's Worth
# 5
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
12/08/2011 7:27 pm
That the guitar is not only an instrument, but its a piece of art as well! So the guitar has to not only have that great feel and play to it, but has to have that eye appeal as well. Some folks will let their guitars go and treat it as they would a baseball bat or a hammer...
If you can't set that guitar up in your living room on a stand, and draw attention to it whenever you have company come over, then it's not the eye grabber that it should be.. Art man... and then you can wow them when you throw out a few tunes for them as well :D
Price wise, well, that is up to you.. I've seen some good low dollar guitars around and have even liked a few of them.. but with me having several already in the living room, I'm not going to jump right out and give the wife a reason to kick my ass right now :D
I have been kicking around the idea of building myself a nice Les Paul.. I've been watching these kits fly around on Ebay.. but am VERY wary of what quality of product I am seeing.. I see some of these people rate the product as a B type and that they sell the A type.. and then I see all these others that don't have ratings at all... would suck getting that guitar all together and then have a warped neck or shorter than it should be... a misaligned pickup hole or something...
A friend of mine has made himself a B E A Utiful Bass Guitar... kept it all natural, stained and varnished it.. very beautiful Bass... he even keeps a picture of it in his wallet as if it were his child :D Had that thing appraised and was offered 4 grand for it! He dumped about 1200 into the parts for it...
I told him he could always donate it to my Art exhibit :D
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.