strings question

summer sand
summer sand
11/04/2011 1:49 am
I just bought a used guitar which has flat wound strings on it. I'd like to change them out for something else, and am wondering if there is an easy way that I can determine what gauge the strings currently on the guitar are?
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/04/2011 10:55 am
There isn't that I know of, unless you have a micrometer. If you had some strings that you already know the gauge of, you should be able to compare the flexibility and stiffness and figure out which is a match.

What is already on the guitar is most likely 9's or 10's. If you are totally in doubt, start with 10's.

On flat- vs. round-wound, in theory the flat wound cause less fret wear, and create less handling noise (hearing your fingers move etc), but round wounds have better tone. I used to see flat wound commonly back in the day, but round seems more popular in this decade (based on what I see on the store shelves). I used to use flat, but use round wound now.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
summer sand
summer sand
11/05/2011 7:38 am
Thanks Razbo! I thought I might have missed knowing about some gadget, but instead I missed the decade of the flatwound strings. The strings are probably 9s, as they feel similar in weight to the strings on my other guitar.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.