Cover/Tribute Bands

stratgod
stratgod
03/18/2002 1:23 pm
Any of you brits out there heard of an Eagles tribute band called Talon? I went to see them for a second time and they are superb. As well as all being multi talented musicians they manage to recreate the vocal and guitar sound of the Eagles. If you see them advertised I recommend them.

Also,What do you all think of cover/tribute bands? Personally,if I was recommended them I'd probably go and see them.But would you pay more to see the real bands?My answer would be yes given the chance but the nearest a top band would play to me would be London,Birmingham or Bristol.That means you've got to travel a hell of a long way.
So come on people,let's have some input...

Luke.
"When I was a kid,all I wanted was a red electric guitar.It had to be red,because of Hank and his magical sound." Mark Knopfler on Hank Marvin.
# 1
James8831
James8831
03/18/2002 3:14 pm
I'm in Bristol for the record...:)

Haven't heard of Talon yet, I did "grow up" with the Eagles so I may go and see them. I don't go to gigs much-as a rule,but we've got some good bands on the pub circuit here and a lot of them are excellent at covers, as this can comprise a lot of their set.

Crazy Bones/Train are one local band with a big Stones sound and cover a lot of their stuff.

Cover bands can sound "almost better" (on Telly at least) than the real thing because, they are usually made up of extremely devoted fans of the bands they cover.

Reasons I don't go to big gigs are 1: The price of Genuine Tickets 2:distance is a problem, even with a car, I dont want to have to go to the NEC to see the Eagles.3: Enough fizzy continental pishwater and that local band WILL BECOME the stones (etc).

Answers the Name band's management would give you to your
concerns
We have to charge that much to pay for expenses,etc. (Oh,Yeah- The Rolling Stones (or whoever) on the breadline then are they)

Regarding smaller venues, it is not worth it due to the expense versus number of tickets sold,or we may be too loud (BS and use "smaller" amps)*

As playing big stadia means the band and their promoters and managers will get their large slice of money cake.

Answer -string the promoters and managers up by their gonads/breasts with piano wire until they see sense and talk to the bands until they see the problem.

This problem is a global one, not UK only...

I'd like to see "localish" bands or artists (Peter Gabriel lives near Bath, Ritchie Blackmore comes from WSM originally) Play at the community festival.. but they're only human.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way, nice to have another local in :D

PS - i don't usually rant like this, Ticket Prices have always got my goat.

[This post has been edited as James ran out of little blue tablets.]

[Edited by James8831 on 03-18-2002 at 09:17 AM]
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
03/18/2002 4:23 pm
The good thing about tribute bands is that they will sound like your favorite band in their heyday, age has a funny way taking the polish off the originals sometimes, I saw the recently gigging again WHO, on TV ( Concert for NYC), I was surprised that Roger Daltrey's pipes were so rusty, I always thought he had one of the great voices of rock, maybe touring this year will lossen him back up., but as far as actually seeing the Who on this tour, something tells me that ain't going to happen , ticket prices are just insane. When the Eagles toured in 95?, I thought the ticket price had to include a limo and dinner, maybe a free car wash and a shoe shine too.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/20/2002 6:39 am
I like going down to the local and hearing good music played well. I can have my nosh & libations in a comfortable chair, usually with a good view of the band, and I don't have to live on crackers and ketchup for two weeks to pay for it.

I see cover songs as part of any bands bona fides to demonstrate that they are capable of playing recognisable music. Any fool can make a bunch of noise, but if they can reproduce a tune I know, I'm more likely to believe that what I hear during the rest of their performance is really what the wanted to play.

An analogy: I never liked Picasso's famous paintings, but I saw the near-photographic accuracy and detail he was capable of in his early stuff, so I was less inclined to dismiss cubism out of hand.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.