View post (Cover/Tribute Bands)

View thread

James8831
James8831
03/18/2002 3:14 pm
I'm in Bristol for the record...:)

Haven't heard of Talon yet, I did "grow up" with the Eagles so I may go and see them. I don't go to gigs much-as a rule,but we've got some good bands on the pub circuit here and a lot of them are excellent at covers, as this can comprise a lot of their set.

Crazy Bones/Train are one local band with a big Stones sound and cover a lot of their stuff.

Cover bands can sound "almost better" (on Telly at least) than the real thing because, they are usually made up of extremely devoted fans of the bands they cover.

Reasons I don't go to big gigs are 1: The price of Genuine Tickets 2:distance is a problem, even with a car, I dont want to have to go to the NEC to see the Eagles.3: Enough fizzy continental pishwater and that local band WILL BECOME the stones (etc).

Answers the Name band's management would give you to your
concerns
We have to charge that much to pay for expenses,etc. (Oh,Yeah- The Rolling Stones (or whoever) on the breadline then are they)

Regarding smaller venues, it is not worth it due to the expense versus number of tickets sold,or we may be too loud (BS and use "smaller" amps)*

As playing big stadia means the band and their promoters and managers will get their large slice of money cake.

Answer -string the promoters and managers up by their gonads/breasts with piano wire until they see sense and talk to the bands until they see the problem.

This problem is a global one, not UK only...

I'd like to see "localish" bands or artists (Peter Gabriel lives near Bath, Ritchie Blackmore comes from WSM originally) Play at the community festival.. but they're only human.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way, nice to have another local in :D

PS - i don't usually rant like this, Ticket Prices have always got my goat.

[This post has been edited as James ran out of little blue tablets.]

[Edited by James8831 on 03-18-2002 at 09:17 AM]
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..