View post (Soloing on my record)

View thread

Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/26/2011 6:18 pm
Hi!

Originally Posted by: caponi14Shall i just jam the chords i want to solo over again and again with my band?
Or shall i first make a solo when i go in the studio by improvisation? (iv done this before)
Or shall i target the chord tones everytime a chord comes up or something?

This all depends on what kind of player you are. Are you really good at improvising?

From personal experience, my solos turn out the best when I have lots of time to work on them. I record the progression and practice soloing over and over until I hear ideas that I like, and I keep them.

It's good to practice with your band, but you might need more time than they can give you, so if you can, record the chords and practice by yourself too.

A lot of really memorable solos took a long time to write! Someone once told me that the Eagles spent two weeks in the studio just on the solo for Hotel California.

Another good tip is to sing your solo first. Don't even touch a guitar. Just listen to the chord progression you're gonna play over, and sing! That will often be the most true representation of your feelings. Then you try to figure it out on the guitar.

Don't worry about playing complicated stuff, or playing fast, or anything like that. Just go with what you hear is good!