View post (stupid question (maybe))

View thread

Brandon Bloom
Brandon Bloom
07/23/2011 11:18 pm
Originally Posted by: wingman23This might be a stupid question to all you great guitar players on here, but seems like a good place to ask.
Is it possible for anybody to learn to play like this, or is it something you are born with.(natural talent) As a beginner i can never ever imagine playing like this and i dont think this guy is famous or anything.. How the heck do you get your fingers to move that fast without them falling off and he's only playing careless whisper for goodness sake LOL.. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Hatm9xP00&NR=1

That actually isn't a stupid question at all, it is very commonly asked, no worries :)

The truth is, it is actually possible for anyone to get this good, or even better! Yes the guitar may come more naturally to some than others, at first. But, this has nothing to do with how good you CAN get! Studies show that it takes about 10,000 hours of practicing something before you truly master it. This holds true to the guitar and music. In fact, one doesn't even have to practice 10 hours a day to achieve these sorts of results on guitar. Someone who practices even just one to two hours a day, if they have the correct practicing methods/schedule, focus, and efficiency, can get a lot more accomplished than someone who practices aimlessly on guitar for 10 hours at a time.

It takes years of consistent, focused, efficient practice, to refine technique to this level. I'm 100% positive that anyone who has the right mindset and is dedicated, can do this :D

one more thing, it is also important to practice the RIGHT things in order to get towards your goals as a guitarist in the shortest time possible. keep that in mind :)