Hanging guitar

Otto Ray Sing
Otto Ray Sing
07/02/2011 11:32 pm
Some time back, I started hanging my guitars (all electric) from quality hangers. Those that I use often don't seem to have problems, but my Fender Strat' didn't get used for several months. I recently took it down to play it, and it took me a good 15 minutes to get it tuned.

Does it harm the necks to hang for extended times? I should ask, does it hurt them to ever be hung, even for short times? When hanging them, should I take the tension off the strings? What else should I be cautious of when hanging the guitars? One thing that I did do, was to add some soft felt to the wall, where the guitar might touch when being hung up.

I love the look of the guitars displayed on the walls, and find that people are much more likely to play them, when all they have to do is reach out and grab one, as compared to digging out and opening a case. I sure don't want to damage them though.
We grow too soon old, and too late smart.
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/03/2011 11:59 am
I hang my guitars for the same reasons, and I have for years. I cannot attibute any playability concerns to the fact they were stored hanging. And in the case of my acoustics, it may actually have served to hasten the "warming" process.

Hanging in the open does expose your guitar to more environmental change than being "buffered" in a case. This would have some impact including quicker deterioration fo your strings, finish, movement of parts due to temperature & humidity change etc.

Ideally they should be stored in a case, but to me, if it makes me less inclined to play then it is not worth it. I bought them to play not to store. :)

Definitely keep them out of direct sunlight, drafts, try to use interior walls, etc.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.