What to do ?

Gulder
Gulder
03/05/2002 7:40 pm
Ok, here's my story :)

I've been plaing the guitar for about a year and some months. I find that I picked up essential things pretty fast and descent (leggatos,sweep picking,tapping...) Tough, I'm still not happy because I can't seem to acchieve the only thing I relaly want(who is anyway ?)
I'm talking about listening to a song and transcribe it. hell, I've must have read a zillion pages about you should train your ears (with no further explanation) or you have to listen to the bassnote and so find the rest of the chord or buy some silly ass CD that would let you hear 'The perfect pitch' if you pay a price where you can buy a floyd rose with. I'm still no step further. About transcribing music I mean solos etc. power chords are no problem. I know it all has something to do with keys/scale but when I think about how a scale works and then apply it to transcribe(or at least do a pittyful try at) a solo my mind just goes *BOEM* It all turns blurry. I know very few scales (5 to be exact ;) all small ones) and which letter that maches which fret/snare (forgot how it's called :p ) I know I should learn more scales, but with those 5 scales I should already be able to transribe some solo's that are writting in it, well I'm not for now. What should I do, am I skipping some essential parts or am I just not made for transcribing music :) I'd be more than happy if you could give me some information of some sort about my question. Thanks for listening to a poor mans problem :)

Laz, Gulder
# 1
zeb985
zeb985
03/05/2002 8:08 pm
I know what you mean. I have problems picking out certain notes. but when I do i just play around until I think i got it. If it sounds good and it blends go with it. As far as solos I cant help you much their Ive never learned a solo nor have i attempted to. Although there is alot of people on this sight that can help you with that. But I do know alot of solos or atleast some of them, they dont stay in one scale they'll combine scales. for example they might start in an "E" harmonic minor than jump to a "E" dorian then to a "E" natural minor and ect.. hope this helps
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.
# 2
crazyguy
crazyguy
03/12/2002 3:10 pm
What you should do is play along the music your ear knows although you haven't played it before. A simple piece of music with accented melody line is best suited for this, rather than shred-stuff. Play along the vocal line if it's colourfull enough. An excelent example would be Mike Oldfield's instrumentals, and i just ADORE playing along The Rubbetes' "Sugar Baby Love". Off course, you can play along radio, TV, computer games, a parrot (seriously!)... The point is to focus on the melody and try to reproduce it. If you have tabs for what you were playing, check them afterwards for what you couldn't figure.
Also, study music theory, and by that I mean study until you understand it, not learn it all by heart.
You'll notice that after a while you'll be able to tell a songs key and chords by just listening to it.
By the way, I asociate notes and chords with colours and moods(mind pictures which induce certain moods). Find out what suits you best. Good luck.
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.