Barre Chord Arpeggios are Killing Me

bhagwan
bhagwan
06/17/2011 7:36 pm
Hey all,

Loving working through the lessons on here. Relatively new to guitar - have 4 years of weak practicing under my belt but have started hitting it hard for the last few months. Working through the "rock 1" lessons here and am having significant trouble with the barre chord arpeggios. In specific, I am finding my hand is killing me after about 3 minutes of practicing them. I feel I have to put lots of force behind clamping my hand down in order to get the single notes to ring true.

I'm wondering if this is expected, if there's some technique I can try, or if it's just a matter of building up strength. Honestly right now it's pretty brutal - I worry about carpel tunnel and such.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!
# 1
Necronius
Full Access
Necronius
Full Access
06/18/2011 12:42 am
Bhagwan,

I had the same issue when I started Barres. They're just not something your body wants to do naturally. I remember watching other people do them, and it seemed so simple and they rang so clear, but mine sounded like I was playing them with my face and afterword it felt like I slammed my hand in a drawer.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way, shape, or form an expert on anything, as I'm still learning myself, this is just how I personally approached it.

The thing that helped me the most was breaking them down, taking my time, and taking alot of breaks. What I mean by breaking them down is concentrate on one part of them at a time. Start with JUST a barre without a chord shape and work on getting the strings to ring. Doing this let me realize what part of my finger was pushing on each string, which parts were muting strings and why, and allowed me to adjust my point finger positioning to compensate. I found that the one spot on the fleshy part of my finger closest to my hand was just too soft to get a note to ring true, but if i rotated it slightly toward the headstock, it was infinitely easier to fret, it was more comfortable for me (Your physiology may vary) and fixed my problem. When I was trying to play a full chord, I was concentrating too much on what the rest of my hand was doing, and never would have solved it. (Just make sure you don't get in the habit of backing up your pointer with your freed up fingers, it's a habit that's a headache to break)

Another thing to remember is that you are working muscles in your hand that you probably never knew existed. Like exercising anything you've neglected for any length of time, the first few times you work them, they will hate you for it :). The pain will eventually cease. with practice they will come naturally, and the force you exert to play them will seem relatively light. For as much as I use to hate the very thought of trying to play barre chords, they are now easier for me than open chords, and I find myself playing them almost exclusively when jamming with friends etc.

Just don't let them frustrate you too much. Believe me, if I can play them, I'm convinced anyone can :D (And forgive the wall of text. I tend to ramble a bit)
# 2
bhagwan
bhagwan
06/18/2011 1:04 am
Thanks Necronius - good info. I'll keep chugging away. I like the idea of breaking down the shape to check out what each finger is doing. Will give it a shot!

Starting to play in the mid 30s makes you realize your body is kind of set in its ways. ;)
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.