upgrade to floyd rose?

Ubermedic
Ubermedic
06/04/2011 2:07 pm
i have a yamaha eg-112 guitar with a vintage tremelo, and i was wondering if it would be worthwhile to replace it with a floyd rose or if i'd be wasting time and money, i know its a cheap guitar but i grow attached to things and i'd like to improve it if i can, any advice would be welcome.
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
06/04/2011 2:50 pm
You might want to ask in the tech section... the Guitar Tricks tech guy could probably advise you better. There's a few things to consider off the bat... I'm not sure if the cavity in the body of your guitar would fit a Floyd Rose... it might have to be re-worked for the floating trem to fit in there. The other thing is getting a Floyd Rose.. last I checked, they're not cheap, and often out of stock. That's for an "Original Floyd Rose" trem system. You can get a similar system easily enough.

I bought a Jackson guitar that has a "licensed" Floyd Rose system for $300 on sale. That was the guitar & trem system. It works very well, stays in tune. So for the price of getting a floating trem system on your current guitar, you could most likely buy a whole new guitar, and keep your baby "virgin" so to speak.
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
06/04/2011 6:58 pm
I wouldn't bother spending the money on a floyd rose to put it in that guitar. Just get a better guitar that comes with one.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.