View post (Question: Scale Patterns)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/13/2011 5:04 am
Originally Posted by: MarcusWiesner Currently I'm using a system of my own device which centers around the idea of B and C lining up with E and F, as well as BCD > EFG > ABC> DEF and then A always being a string above any E, as well as the kite patterns that each note has. Like if you take all of the A notes on the fretboard, you will notice that it makes a diamond around 5 and has a trailing "kite-string".

Now I will use the CAGED system as well.

The Fretboard Workbook/MI approach is a lot simpler. It is built on the principle that there are 5 patterns of octaves that repeat across the fretboard. So for instance, Pattern one is the 2nd & 5th string, two frets apart.

Try it. Grab your guitar. Pick any note on the 2nd string, and then count two frets up and play the note on the 5th string... they are the same note; anywhere you start on the fretboard, the notes on the 2nd string and then two frets up on the 5th string are the same. There are four more patterns, then they just keep repeating. These patterns are used as the building blocks for scales.

Its not that other systems are "wrong", the CAGED system is really explaining exactly the same thing, the notes end up being the same, but the patterns will be referred to with different numbers. However, I've seen so many people get confused when people start trying to explain "we're going to play the G major scale... we're going to take the C major chord form and then add all these notes around it..." It works for some people, but I've met a lot of players that find it really confusing.

The explanations in the Fretboard Workbook are really concise and clear. I'd really recommend it. Oh, and the whole octave pattern thing is just at the beginning. It explains really well how intervals work from string to string, and gets you to understand and memorize scale patterns before you try to play them. Worked for me... I can play the major scale in all 5 positions across the fretboard, but more importantly, I start to see all the notes across the fretboard after a while, so I can move way up or down the fretboard and still stay in key.

Good luck!