View post (Question: Scale Patterns)

View thread

MarcusWiesner
MarcusWiesner
05/13/2011 3:28 am
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardIf you want a really clear understanding of patterns for the major scale, and then all the subsequent modes, pick up "The Fretboard Workbook". It will totally clarify what you're asking about.

The next thing I'll throw out there is that there are many ways to skin a cat, and you may not be as confused as you might think.

Here's the thing... like hunter says, we're trying to memorize these patterns so we know where the notes are across the fretboard. Lets start with the major scale like you're talking about. Now, the practical end goal here (think of it as a tool that we're adding to our guitar tool belt) is to be able to see the major scale for any given key across the entire fretboard. That's the long range goal. But to get there, we use patterns to group notes that are close together.

What gets confusing is that there are different ways of explaining where these patterns are and how to visualize them across the fretboard. Many teachers use the "CAGED" system, and other methods start pattern one on the low E string, the logic being that where you start with your first note.

The Fretboard Workbook is a Musicians Institute publication, and you might be interested to know that their method works just as you suggest, with C maj scale pattern 1 starting on first fret. Check it out, its a great book and will de-mystifie all this stuff for you.

That sounds like something I should get :) but I got this book called Serious Guitar instead. I believe that it covers basically the same stuff. My friend who went to the Musician's Institute suggested this book for me. It is a total study of all of the modes and improvisation of the entire neck for every mode basically in existence.

The Fretboard Workbook sounds like a good tool for memorizing the fretboard and all of that. Currently I'm using a system of my own device which centers around the idea of B and C lining up with E and F, as well as BCD > EFG > ABC> DEF and then A always being a string above any E, as well as the kite patterns that each note has. Like if you take all of the A notes on the fretboard, you will notice that it makes a diamond around 5 and has a trailing "kite-string".

Now I will use the CAGED system as well. I think attacking the problem from multiple angles is really working best for me, I think a mastery of at least knowing where all of the natural notes on the guitar are is not that far off if I continue studying this subject this way :) I also pick a string and a fret each day and name all of the notes up the string and acrossed the fret. One day soon I will have the whole fretboard memorized (yay)

It's taken me about four months but the end of the first step is in sight. After that it is just going to be applying all of my theory knowledge to the guitar. Another thing that helps is taking the fretboard five frets at a time 1-5, 3-7, 5-9, and 7-11, that way you are working with manageable chunks of it. Happy studies!