all my guitarsolos sound the same

caponi14
caponi14
04/30/2011 3:35 pm
All my guitarsolos sound the same, what do i do?
Im not a bad guitarist, but im pissed at my playing!

Last night i recorded in the studio, what a complete and total defeat :(
I don't know if i wonna scream or cry... both i guess...
# 1
metal iz good
metal iz good
05/01/2011 12:24 am
Try opening up to different styles and techniques. Following the chords is good, too! Because chord sequences should always be different, so if you follow the chords, your solos should sound different, too! It's not easy though... :D
# 2
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
05/02/2011 8:48 am
in what aspect do they sound the same? maybe they share the same intervals even though they're in a different key, or you use the same pauses between notes, or you play the same speed, or you can try to look at which notes you emphasize..
I recognise this a lot in my own playing, luckily I don't make any solo's yet :p
= good music is good drinking =
# 3
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/02/2011 3:39 pm
I really doubt that the fact they sound alike is what is truly bringing you down. Most great guitarist's solos sound similar, that's why you can recognize someone like Slash, or BB King. Its probably more to do with whether or not your guitar solos sound memorable, or emotionally connect with you or your audience.

Music is an expression of YOUR thoughts, emotions & ideas. Think of playing a guitar solo like making a speech, because its really similar. You're asking for everyone's attention, make sure you have something to say. If you're just regurgitating a bunch of riffs you've learned, its probably not going to sound too original or inspirational. It's like watching someone stand up and make a speech, and just string together a whole bunch of important sounding words, great quotes with no context, and believing that it was a great speech because it was grammatically correct.

So try this. Listen to what you want to solo with without even having the guitar in your hands. Forget all you know about scales and chord structure; just close your eyes and try to hear the solo in your head. Hum it if that helps. When you feel a spark of an idea, that's the time to pickup the guitar, and start putting the notes you heard in your head together.

Remember, all the riffs, theory etc.. are just tools for you to use as you express your creativity. I believe in what The Edge said, in that the really good ideas come from your sub-concious. Try to tap into your instinct more than "thinking" your way through a solo.. and don't be afraid to take chances.

If it makes you feel any better at all, I once read an interview with David Lee Roth, and he was talking about Eddie Van Halen recording guitar solos. He said Eddie would lay down about 5 different solos for a song, and say "what about this one, or this one?". Roth said he thought they all really just sounded the same. I think everyone has to break out of the rut at some point or another. Even the greats don't record a hit or even a memorable solo every single time. Maybe post something in the listening post and we'll all rip it to shreds?! Just kidding! But really, I'd like to hear what you're recording.
# 4
MarcusWiesner
MarcusWiesner
05/03/2011 6:58 pm
SlipinLizard hit the nail right on the head with that post. What do you want to play? forget about all of your technical skills and all of the riffs you've learned, you know, it's great to have those things down and you can even reinvent them constantly in new contexts if that is what you feel like at that moment in your playing, but the most important thing is your EXPRESSION.

Try making solos like this, get a backing track and sing over it, make a melody that sounds good to you. I don't care if you are a good singer or not, that's not the point. Then, pick up your guitar and try to make that solo on your guitar. This does take some practice if you've never done it before, but when you start making melodies that you think are totally rad, you'll have an epiphany and go "duh, I should do this while I'm soloing" you gotta play what your heart really wants to play, not just what your fingers know how to play.

One more very important lesson you need to learn: silence is golden. Arrange your solos in phrases that are at most 4 measures long (half of that or even less is good, too), make that phrase sound like a musical idea that has it's own character, and then stop for a second, think maybe what will the next phrase be like, will it go down, up or will I play with these notes for a minute and end somewhere on this note. Take a conscious approach to soloing and don't regurgitate your licks anymore, it's obviously becoming depressing.

Your solos should be, like slipin lizard said, a speech. You have all of the tools you need to make a great speech, but you haven't taken the time to sit down and practice formulating the ideas you'd like to express yet. Take that time for yourself and for the people who will listen to you music, so that your music will be meaningful. All of your solos will have your style throughout, but they should not all say the same thing, if that makes sense.
# 5
caponi14
caponi14
05/05/2011 9:13 am
I makes sense thank you!

Im gonna try working on it. playing what i hear, i know what you mean
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/07/2011 9:29 pm
Whatever you try to play, see if you can do it with fewer notes. Few people remember fast solos but everyone can hum an Ace Frehley solo.

A solo isn't just a spot to show up but a place to put a new melodic idea in to the song. You realize by taking notes out, that a solo can be come stronger. Then, if intensity is needed, the faster sections then become more powerful.
# 7
seedevil1
seedevil1
05/21/2011 2:04 am
too many guys get caught up in the idea that the guitar is somehow designed to play random licks and as fast as possible.
What you should be aiming for is to actually create a sort of melody during a solo. Well not so much a melody, but a main theme.

And to top it all off, you need a start, a middle (the most intense part) and an ending.

I would also recommend to STOP practicing scales the normal way (root, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc) and instead practice "contouring".
So for instance, take a minor pentatonic and start your metronome and instead of playing 1,m3, 4, 5, b7, play 1-4, m3-5, 4-b7, 5-1 (also called playing "in thirds")
Make up your own patterns and practice them. raise the speed on the metronome each time, and don't play the same pattern two days in a row. This will help to improve the spontaneity in your solos, I guarantee it.

I have the same problems sometimes though (every guitarist does). you can't get past the fact that you will inevitably use certain patterns more than others and this will be "your sound". If I hear Santana playing on the radio, I know it's him immediately. Why? because he uses very distinct patterns in his solos, and he uses these patterns REPEATEDLY.

From analyzing my own solos, I've noticed that I stick with the pentatonic alot, and unlike lots of guitarists who use mostly 1,3,5's, I use a lot of major 7 notes over chords. A little too much actually. So if you're aware of what you play then the next time you solo you can stray away from the usual and try something different.
# 8
kiwicolin
Full Access
kiwicolin
Full Access
06/15/2011 4:47 pm
This has helped me a lot reading this post. I know, that I also fall into the same trap. It's easy to play from muscle memory. You build up a vocabulary of licks and chops, just like you would words while speaking.

Hopefully, you make these your own, so you have your own voice. (If, not, give it time, change them up a bit)

It's how you arrange them, and mix them in with basic melody. A solo should have a common thread of a melody or a path that you are walking on. Now try to embellish it with a few of your chops. Don't blow your whole load on every solo.. don't play every one of your techniques and chops in every solo, or they will all sound the same.

Just my thoughts an 2c worth, for what it's worth :)
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.