Fingerstyle

mts83184
mts83184
04/12/2011 7:16 pm
Hello everyone,
Just found this site yesterday and so far I love it. I have been playing for about 8 years now, but I haven't advance any in the last 6. Recently I have become inspired to learn guitar and music theory. I no longer want to just strum the chords that I found in a tab somewhere. I also want to move toward the Chet Atkins/Jerry Reed styles. Can anyone help me out with where to start?
# 1
JJ90
JJ90
04/12/2011 7:36 pm
Welcome to the site :-)

As far as I know you should do the country level course ( but I don't know if that's too easy for you since you have been playing for 8 years ). The country course has some picking stuff like Chat Atkins.

BTW, this is part of the guitar fundamentals course, which are structured and linked videos, as being a whole course.

Country level 1 is here:
http://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=country1

Country level 2 is here ( with the Chat Atkins picking ):
http://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=country2

I think the entire Country course will benefit you. It will turn you into a picker rather than only a chord strummer.

Let me know if this fits your needs.

Have fun!

JJ
# 2
mts83184
mts83184
04/12/2011 9:05 pm
Thanks a lot JJ. I will do that tonight. I have never really "practiced" like I have been for the last week or so. I have heard that you shouldn't practice for more than 30 min to an hour a day. Is there any validity to this? If so what is the harm? Can you really practice too much?
# 3
JJ90
JJ90
04/13/2011 9:04 am
Well in my experience, and advice from my own teacher, I would say that you shouldn't practice more than 1 hour on 1 thing.

What do I mean with that ? For example if you are working on running scales up and down, you should focus on it for about 30 mins for example and then move on to something else you need to improve on. For example hybrid picking.

What I found, was that when I started practicing for more than an entire hour on one thing I got a bit frustrated. When you want to practice only one single thing, it would be good to take a break in between. In my experience a break can do wonderful things.

For example I couldn't get a lick perfectly down, but after a two hour break ( not saying that you should take a two hour break, do whatever feels comfortable for you ), I picked up my guitar and I suddenly played it perfect!

So in short: I would recommend making some kind of personal schedule of things you want to practice and decide for yourself how much time you want to put in each of these things. It's possible that you don't have to take breaks and practice for more than 1 hour, if that works for you. But I would surely recommend if you start getting frustrated with practice, either take a break or start practicing something else you need to improve on.

JJ
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.