Can you reach that point?

caponi14
caponi14
04/12/2011 4:29 pm
Hello fellow guitarplayers
a question have struck me, it's for very experienced players.
Do you think it's possible to reach the level of playing you want, and be happy with it the rest of your life. Has it happend to some of you? The point where you think '' i have done it, im as good now as i wanted to start off with''
i don't feel like im ever gonna reach that unless something sick happens to my play sometime.

i hope it makes sence. Im just the kinda person needing an uplift sometimes.

Keep rocking!
casper
# 1
shayman1
shayman1
04/12/2011 4:52 pm
I was getting in my car the other day and this guy says to me "can you give me a lift?" I said sure no problem "you look great, the worlds your oyster, go for it!" :)

Can never be happy..that's why we are musicians!
Shayman
# 2
mts83184
mts83184
04/12/2011 7:22 pm
I am not very experienced, but the appeal to music, in general, to me is exactly what you seem to be having a problem with. You can always get better. There will always be a new style to master or even a new instrument to pick up. What's the point in playing after you reach the point that there is nothing else to learn? I say embrace the fact that you are never going to be satisfied with your skill level and let it drive you forward!
# 3
JJ90
JJ90
04/12/2011 7:32 pm
The thing with guitar is: YOU'LL NEVER LEARN ENOUGH. Get used to that idea, that's just how it is.

Think about it: When you reached the level you want and don't want/need anything new to learn, you'll get bored very soon. Keep setting personal goals, there are always new licks, songs and ideas to discover nomatter what level you are. I'm currently at the level I wanted to be when started guitar.

But when you'll get there, as am I now, you'll see that you want more and be more studious then when you started. I'm even more exited at the moment of playing guitar then I was at my beginning. My goal is now set to being able to play something like Marty Friedman, which is reaaally challenging. But that's what keeps playing guitar the single most awesome thing in the world for us :-)

And about the wall. We all run into walls sometimes, as you say "I don't feel like that is going to happen."

*SLAP*

Don't you ever think like that :-) Everyone runs into a wall with their guitar playing sooner or later. I've been playing for about a year at the same level, before my breakthrough actually came. And that breakthrough came from my private guitar teacher, who noticed my flaws. If Guitartricks is your only recourse in learning guitar, then I would suggest telling us your "wall." What's keeping you from getting to your goals ?

Perhaps you want to get faster ?
Perhaps you want to be a better rhythm player ?
Perhaps you want to be a better solo guitarist ?

Ask ask ask, and maybe some of us may bring you to new ideas, which make you able destroying that wall.

Sometimes this takes longer then we want, but eventually this will come if you are dedicated, believe me! Guitar can be frustrating, but it's better to ask.

So in general answer: No we won't ever be happy with our current guitar playing, that's what keeps it interesting. You need an uplift ? You ask us what you want to know :-)

JJ
# 4
caponi14
caponi14
04/12/2011 9:20 pm
i don't know what to say :confused: im not happy, nor sad. I have hit a wall that im working on getting trough. im just so hard on myself... It's like im getting on my own nerves sometimes.

but i believe that i will make it on day, everyone say im the best guitarist they know. Im the only one not accepting or realising it.

My number one issue is my soulbinding of Slash. I know it's so stupid and ''beginner thinking-like'' but i can't help it. I want to be able to master his style completely (maybe that is why i have such i hard time?) and then make my own music with it...I know what you will say about this. It's so stupid....

I hope that this have showed a little insight of what im struggling with.
# 5
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
04/13/2011 3:59 am
Hi Casper,

I haven't reached it yet but I keep thinking about it and I'm working on it.

You'll find you keep trying and working toward your goal and it doesn't seem like you're getting far, than you have a breakthrough where you actually can see the progress you made as you're playing.

Your Slash vision is great, at least you know what to aim for and there is help to get there.

Keep at it!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 6
JJ90
JJ90
04/13/2011 9:56 am
Well Casper, I'm also a huge fan of Slash. Some people say he's overrated but I disagree. There is not a single guitarist that can reach the level of sensitive soloing ( with possible exception of Gary Moore ) in my opinion.

Here are some few Slashie tips ( I don't know what level you are, so maybe some things are not necessairy ).

- Slash plays on the neck pickup of his Les Paul, makes a lot more warmer sound, you should do the same to recreate that warm Slash feel.
- In terms of tone, a good Slashie Sweet Child tone would be: High Gain/Metal Setting with Gain 6,5/10 Bass 6,5/10, Mid 7,5/10 Treble 6,5/10. This is a preset setting on my amp, ( the / means out of 10, being the maximum ).
- You could learn some pretty easy and awesome Slash solo's. For example Knocking on Heavens Door, Don't Cry and the first and second solo of November rain. Once you have a small catalog you can work some ideas out of your own. But before you can do that you should be able to play some of Slash works.
- These solo's have lots of awesome bends, be sure to nail those down for the feel.
- Slash uses a lot of Eminor scale in his solo's. Find a correct backing track for practice, so that the Slashie style comes out well. If you don't have a good backing track this might be a problem. Just say when you need a good backing track, I might be able to provide something.
- Rhythmic like Slash playing you can try doing some intermediate Guns songs like Nighttrain ( rhytmic ofcourse ), Welcome to the Jungle. Those songs are great for building your rhytmic chops.

Let me know if this helps.

JJ
# 7
caponi14
caponi14
04/13/2011 2:08 pm
Thank you folks, it's nice knowing that someone cares :)
And most of the tips im aware of. The thing that keeps coming back to me.

1. Slash's fast soloing, how he can variate and race trough so many notes and make it sound so awesome and different every time.

2. Slash's improvised solos which he did in the guns days and also still to this day. People say it's easy, hell no it's not. Can you maybe go see some of them on youtube and give me some advise? especially on the fast parts.

3. Slash's epic variation skill within his fairly few used scales. What can it do to variate it more and sound like him.

4. Slash's guitaruns down and up the neck, they are giving me a hard time, can you maybe help me see for patterns, and details that he does in them, you can find them in a lot of his songs.

It would really help me alot, if a little detailed explanation of these was made for me, from you guys. I aint no bad guitarist i tell you. Im just missing something that he has that i want!

Thanks you
Casper the friendly guitarist (lol)
# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/13/2011 3:45 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14Slash's fast soloing, how he can variate and race trough so many notes and make it sound so awesome and different every time.[/quote]
Slash, like all accomplished guitarists, has developed his own vocabulary; which means, his own individual way of using the basic scales of music.

In order to do this you need the physical skills. But you also need to know ahead of time what each scale or lick sounds like so you can pull that scale segment or lick at will, on the spot when you desire that sound. But you can only do this once your physical skills are up to par. So you need to develop your playing & listening skills together.

This is how to develop your own vocabulary. You start by copying licks from heroes (like Slash for you!). Then you gradually learn, make, play your own library of pre-established of licks, runs & patterns that you can play like they are second nature, that you've developed because you like the sound of them. The bigger your set of pre-established licks is, the more you can mix, match, alter, interchange & interconnect all of them to "improvize" on the spot.
[QUOTE=caponi14]Slash's guitaruns down and up the neck, they are giving me a hard time, can you maybe help me see for patterns, and details that he does in them, you can find them in a lot of his songs.

Have you looked through these tutorials on how to play patterns across the fretboard? The last ones are also about learning to play fast!

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=843
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=914
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=419
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=928
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=929
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=898
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=899
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=973

Give those a try! Have fun & keep practicing!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 9
JJ90
JJ90
04/13/2011 5:09 pm
Thank you Christopher for giving the reply I wanted to give. Didn't really know how to word it, but you already did it :-)

As Christopher says, learn loads of Slash songs/licks. Then you will discover in what kind of way he plays, it's rather difficult putting it up here in text.

Perhaps you can request a Slash Artist study here at GT, that should be awesome and I think LOADS of people will like that :-). Currently there are only three lessons I'm aware off in the style of Slash:

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13649

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13694

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12689

Give these a try.

JJ
# 10
JoaquinCastillo
JoaquinCastillo
04/17/2011 6:23 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14Hello fellow guitarplayers
a question have struck me, it's for very experienced players.
Do you think it's possible to reach the level of playing you want, and be happy with it the rest of your life. Has it happend to some of you? The point where you think '' i have done it, im as good now as i wanted to start off with''
i don't feel like im ever gonna reach that unless something sick happens to my play sometime.

i hope it makes sence. Im just the kinda person needing an uplift sometimes.

Keep rocking!
casper

I made the desicion to make it happen and I visited this website:

http://tomhess.net/

I´ve improved tremendously and I´m happier now because of that! : )
# 11
JJ90
JJ90
04/17/2011 6:54 pm
Originally Posted by: JoaquinCastilloI made the desicion to make it happen and I visited this website:

http://tomhess.net/

I´ve improved tremendously and I´m happier now because of that! : )

With all respect, I find Tom Hess the greatest teacher alive! But darn his lessons are REALLY EXPENSIVE! I can't afford them at all, did them for about half a year, and I can't tell how much this guy has helped me. Tom is a virtuoso who not only teaches students, but also teachers. His way of explaining gets about everyone and he always makes you able reaching your goals. Now I'm only subscribed to his free newsletter which also has some useful tips and so.

But Tom doesn't teach blues, country or any other style ( mostly classical and metal ), so you'll have to make sure if he's the right teacher for you. Anyway, he still is the greatest teacher in my opinion.
# 12
hoppyholly
hoppyholly
04/23/2011 3:45 pm
ya never get there no matter how hard you try you can always find a way to improve hey there wont be another hendrix ha ha ha
# 13
MarcusWiesner
MarcusWiesner
04/23/2011 6:09 pm
I have heard that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to master something. I think that that can apply to the guitar technique, but music is an entirely different subject in itself, so I feel like it is a lifelong journey. There are so many styles of music out there the possibilities are pretty much endless. But that's what I want at least, I don't know about you but if I mastered guitar and music tomorrow, I might get bored of it in a few months.

But the progress I am making now is great, so I can say that I am becoming more and more satisfied with my life all the time. Hope that helps you get some motivation to continue striving for excellence, it will pay off in the end. Practice is pretty much the most valuable time I've spent in my life, and it is so worth it. So keep practicing, always learn new things, and continue going until you reach that point where you know that you are ready to rock out for real, and life will be good :)
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.