Audition in the future and scared sh*tless

zeb985
zeb985
02/26/2002 11:19 pm
First of all, i just want to say whats up to everyone. Its been a while sence ive been on here.

Here is a question that you can probably add to your most unlikely asked questions list. anyways Im in my first year of college and have been playing the guitar know for about two years. I want to declare my major to be music performance but I have to audition for that degree. I know im not even close to being able to pass the audition. In the audition I have to be able to perform whatever major and minor scale they say, be able to sight read, and be able to improvise when they tell me to, also i have to prepare a solo and perform a jazz lick. I can wait until a year from august to declare my major and have to do this audition. I no you all have never heard me play but im curious as if you think it is even possible for an average player (of two years) to pass this audition if i got an instructor (and told um the situation) and studied the guitar for about 8-10 hours a day for the next year.
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.
# 1
Jimmy Page XVI
Jimmy Page XVI
02/26/2002 11:27 pm
If you want to major in music performance in guitar, I'd say give it a try. If you have two years of practice playing then you must be very familiar with technique and somewhat exposed to theory. Therefore, by having at least that, you and your instructor could dedicate the most part of the lessons to theory and music composition, its incredible what a person can learn in a year...
As far as the audition, well if you take theory lessons about scales, chords, etz. then you will be familiar with song composition and the different styles of music, so it will be a little less hastle than you might think.
In my opinion I would really think it over, specially with your parents ( I am assuming they might guide you a bit on your future ) and with music instructors. At least my way of thinking is that opportunities come as they come, if you have nothing to loose by auditioning, then go on and try it, you never know!
anyways, luck with whatever you decide...
# 2
msula
msula
02/27/2002 1:20 am
Hrmm.. well technique is one thing, but theory is another. I've been playing for 6 years, and to tell you the truth? I couldn't play most scales if someone asked me, nor could I name half the notes on the fretboard w/o thinking and counting in my head. Sure I can play well, but when it comes down to theory, I suck ass.

Which is why I kept my career as it was, and only play for fun :D
# 3
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
02/27/2002 1:22 am
You've got nothing to lose, everything to gain!
Shoot for the moon and you're sure to end in up in the company of stars...
-Daniel
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
02/27/2002 2:26 am
screw shootin for the moon , man, aim for the sun. then when you land short of it, at least you'll be brighter:)
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/27/2002 4:24 am
The Sun is a star! That's why friskynibbles' comment works so well. :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
river
river
02/27/2002 5:08 am
shop around for a teacher. when ya find one who
says they can get ya ready then ya know yer ok.
if ya cant find a teacher who is confident they
can get ya ready, then wait. you wont be able to
do it without a really good teacher. and it will
certainly take total dedication on your part because
not only must you learn it, you need to be confident
in what you know.most guitarists ive met couldnt
pull it off.its one thing to play to impress people
but quite another to impress the masters.
# 7
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/27/2002 12:21 pm
Music theory is great, you can pick it up really really quickly... Sight reading on the other habd may take a little bit more... I took me about 2 weeks to learn to read notes at thier 1st positions and play them upto speed , Chords are something i still have serious trouble with.. but i mean all of it could be done in the space of one year... if your motivated enough (i'm self taught, and i can honestly say it's alot easier than you think... It always looks complicated and difficult when you dont understand something, then you understand it, and get insulted at how you thought it was difficult :))
Good luck...
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.