New To Tricks, Hiya.

MTIBBITTS
MTIBBITTS
03/23/2011 10:46 pm
Hey all I am new here to guitartricks. com and thought I would drop a hello in the forums here...

Hello! (lol)

I have been playing guitar for about 17 years now, Played rythym, bass, lead/backup vocals for a band in my hometown. Over the last 7 years I have really gotten into Open D tuning... and in my passion lies my dilemma.

I have soo many pieces of songs written in open d but have gotten pretty lost as to how to put them together. I have always been a fan of the blues and it shows in everything I play. I have been going over the lessons by Anders Mouridsen but have not yet come across anything on open d tuning. Everywhere I look for tutorials, lessons or chord formations in open d I usually end up getting near nothing but slide or picking, and fingerpicking is by far not one of my strong suits.

I have had one of my original works played on the radio, a piece in double drop d. I have been trying to convert that song to open D and have been failing. I am currently working on my first album however that may take longer than I originally anticipated due to not being much of a songwriter lol I can write a tune no problem but words, not so much lol.

So it's nice to meet all you fellow musicians and I hope to learn so much more,

Cheers!
# 1
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
03/24/2011 8:23 am
Hey MTIBBITTS,
Welcome to GT, and I'm sure you'll like it here. I play alot of stuff with a dropped E string, even drop both E strings sometimes. There's alot of today's country that uses the concept too, playing with barres, and some really cool riffs.

I like to pick a hot lick, and go all the way back to that low D note. Waylon Jennings was probably the first artist I heard do this, and also many more. Hank Jr. also had some great songs in drop D, and also Charlie Daniels. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for yet, but let me know if I can help you with anything.
# 2
MTIBBITTS
MTIBBITTS
03/24/2011 9:47 pm
drop d is nice too (DADGBE / DADGBD) but I play in open D (DADF#AD). Currently I am working on my first demo/album but having a rough go getting the right sound for my style of playing. I was working it with an acoustic Takamine but then after watching Anders videos I just went out and bought a semi hollow gretch. And OMG is is the second best guitar I have ever played next to my old ferrington.

But getting the right sound is proving to be a pain in my ... I originally was using an old korg 6 pedal into a new rp70 and a boss overdrive. I got really really really close to the sound i was looking for but it got really muddy and dark going into my Boss BR800. I couldn't figure out how to get the tone brighter so I went to the music store and bought a BOSS Super overdrive and a BOSS Digital Delay. the only thing I am missing is my reverb and chorus. I did buy a Line 6 Space Chorus pedal. The guy said it sounds great, but it has a built in phaser effect that simply does not go with my style.

I am new to using multi pedal setups but decided to go for it on this demo to get the sound I wanted. But man I am soo lost with it right now.

So my current pedal lineup goes:

'BOSS Chromatic Tuner TU-3' -> 'BOSS Super Overdrive SD-1' -> 'BOSS Digital Delay DD-3'.

From there I am lost. I get a nice sound but I am missing my reverb and a very subtle chorus effect. I do have my 'Digitech RP70' but I don't have a P.H.D. on how to use the darn thing. I also Have my old Korg 6 pedal but it is in the shop due to having a finicky input jack.

Any tips or suggestions on this would be greatly appreaciated. I have thought about going out and getting an old tube amp. I currently only have a 'Fishman LoudBox MINI'.

M~
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.