Trial page

JJ90
JJ90
02/26/2011 4:09 pm
Hi Guitartricks,

I didn't even know that your site had a trial page, I bumped on it by accident, which was by reference of some other site who discussed the Guitartricks trial. I'd like to mention two things:

First of all why isn't it mentioned or linked from the main page ? ( Is it only meant for other website to link to the trial page ? Because I think everyone should be able to try the site ). I think a lot more people would try out this way.

Secondly, my password is displayed without being hidden in dots ( sorry, English isn't my first language, but I hope you get what I mean ). I'm not really familiar with the hacking abilities these days but isn't it very dangerous when a password is fully displayed without being encoded in dots, whilst making it visible to some advanced hackers ? I'm currently using Mozilla Firefox.

Edit: For those who don't know what I'm talking about here is the trial page. http://www.guitartricks.com/trial/

Think I'm going to try out the trial sometime soon when I have the time. For now I would like to mention this.

JJ
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/01/2011 6:18 pm
Hi JJ90,
Lots of good questions...

We have been testing the free trial, and haven't quite settled on how to use it for our main site. We think offering the choice of "free membership or free trial membership" sounds confusing. We are committed to having the free membership you are using right now. You'll notice the trial page doesn't offer the free membership. So any suggestions about how to add the trial choice without creating confusion would be welcome.

About the password fields, several points:

1. the security aspect of the *** replacing your passwords is just for people looking over your shoulder while you type. The password is not really scrambled.

2. Those fields replace my password with ***, so I can't replicate your problem. I'm not sure why you are having it.

3. Our system encodes your password during transit, keeping it safe from hackers.

Thanks for taking the time to tell us. Let me know if you have other questions.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
JJ90
JJ90
03/03/2011 7:57 pm
Hello Jon, thanks a lot for your great reply.

First of all to, going back to the password problem. Here is an image that should describe the problem even better:

http://img850.imageshack.us/f/guitartrickstrial.jpg/

As you can see on the image the trial page my password isn't covered up in **** but FULLY visible ( I used paint to cover up the remaining bit except for the letter F as you can see on the image to prove that my password is fully visible ). Someone looking over my shoulder should be able to read it very clearly.

When I retype my password then it suddenly becomes hidden in ****.

This I find some kind of problem. I use Mozilla Firefox as you may see.

Secondly I would like to make a suggestion into the idea box if I may ;-)

The free membership and the free trial membership indeed sound very confusing. My advice would be to go with a seperate trial page for the free membershipowners. For example, this would be called a FREE FULL ACCESS TRIAL, because free membershipowners know what a full access membership is, why someone linked from another website who visites the trial page doesn't. That should distinct the difference between the free trial membership, free basic membership and free full access trial.

Hope you find that useful. I will be trying out the trial when I have the time to get my hands on the instrument, and think I'm going to join the site. There's a great vibe here!

JJ
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/03/2011 9:05 pm
Didn't know there was a free trial either :eek:

What is the difference between "free membership or free trial membership"? Kinda confused on what you're trying to distinguish between.
# 4
JJ90
JJ90
03/03/2011 9:57 pm
Free membership is just basic membership with access to the 24 free lessons and being able to post on the forum. The free trial membership is a trial of the full access for 14 days ( so this will expire ). So in this trial you will have access to all material, lessons and features of the site for 14 days. After those 14 days your membership will return to basic free membership unless you start paying for a subscribtion ofcourse. Hope that clears things up ;-)

Anyway looking forward to a reply from Jon or any other Guitartricks staffmember in reply to my previous post.

JJ
# 5
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/04/2011 2:24 am
Got it. Ya that could be confusing. Labeling it "Free Full Access 14 day trial" would clear it up a lot though.
# 6
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/04/2011 8:37 pm
JJ90,
I still am baffled that the password fields don't work for you on that page. They are standard html password fields. There is some fancy design on them (note the hover color change) so maybe that is it.

So for an experiment, do the password fields on this page act normal for you?

http://www.guitartricks.com/register_free.php

Also, do you have any interesting FF addons installed?

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
JJ90
JJ90
03/05/2011 11:52 am
Hello Jon,

I got it figured out! First of all, the register for free-page works normal. The password is hidden in **** when I enter the page, so everything works fine there.

However in the trial page the password isn't hidden in **** but that's because of my favorite Firefox Addon: AdblockPlus ( one of the finest addons in my opinion ). If I disable the Adblockplus function the password remains hidden in ****.

This I'm going to report to the adblockplus people, because it has room for improvement ( sometimes specific videoplayers are blocked with the add-on. So no worries there anymore.

Secondly I hope you find my suggestion on the making a second trial page for free basic membershipmembers useful ( thus calling it free full access trial). If you still find that sounding confusing I will brainstorm on some more ideas, would like to help out solving this matter haha.

JJ
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.