In a Nutshell – Volume

ren
ren
02/09/2011 8:11 pm

The world of effects is a vast and complex one, a world that remains a mystery to many but that we guitarists must master if we are to find our own sound. From wah to distortion, from chorus to pitch shift... the possibilities are endless, and this complexity is compounded with each additional link in the chain. Effects are available in many guises today, with rack-mounted devices and software on our computers; however, we will concentrate on good old fashioned pedals.

This time we'll look at volume pedals, used extensively by guitar players and many other musicians they may be simple as a premise but without them music would be a whole lot flatter.

The Science
There’s no getting around the somewhat self-explanatory name of a volume pedal. It works by boosting the input signal of the guitar and increasing the base volume level depending on the settings dialled in by the player. Volume pedals (also known as boost) are often used by players when shifting in to a solo to give the guitar an even more ‘front and centre’ position in the mix. They are also frequently used to compensate for the degradation often experienced by players using a long and complex chain of pedals.

Volume pedals can be used slightly more imaginatively as well. I use mine when performing live to give the impression of a question and answer setup while playing lead lines, creating the illusion of two guitars rather than one. You might also use it to generate instant crazy feedback or perhaps just to scare the pants off your bass player. I also perforated an eardrum with one, but it really hurt and I cannot recommend that (no, seriously).

Products
There are a huge number of volume pedals available today, and most multi effects units will include a boost function. They are all relatively similar in design – using a rocker pedal rather like a wah to allow the player to taper the volume tastefully rather than just hit a footswitch to double the decibels. Choice as ever is individual but with volume is probably driven by brand loyalty, looks and desired price point.

Firstly at the cheaper end of the market comes the Behringer FCV 100. Designed for guitarists specifically this pedal retails at $40 / £30. It does the job but on the review model I had the treadle was a little loose and the structure in general didn’t feel like it would tolerate much of my frame jumping on it before it gave out. Never the less it worked exactly as it should and at a third of the cost of its competitors it is worth a look – you would have to break two of them before worrying about your wallet. It is also compatible with keyboards and can control 2 input devices simultaneously (mono) or one stereo.

Next up the Fender volume pedal. Retailing at $89 / £89, this pedal is classically styled and reassuring bomb-proof in construction. It definitely feels like a better quality unit than the Behringer and the RRP is significantly north of street prices. Expect to pay more like $70 / £70. This pedal has a dedicated tuner output which is a nice addition and seems more attuned to a life on the road.

Finally the Morley Little Alligator as used by one Mr. Steve Vai and myself amongst others. Retailing at $89.99 / £99.99 it epitomises the bomb proof construction I value so much in a pedal to use live. I haven’t yet accidentally driven my car over it but should the day ever come I fully expect it to survive and probably damage the wheels. It is identical in operation to the Fender but is even heavier – to me that is reassuring but it could be a negative too I guess. The green LED is a nice touch that makes it stand out, and it compliments my Morley Wah nicely from an aesthetic point of view. It also works with bass, and as an occasional bass player that is very helpful to me. A modern twist on the fender equivalent above.

I’ve never had a problem with a Morley product and have several I would recommend without hesitation. If you don’t already have a Wah you could hit two birds with one stone with the Morley Power Wah, which combines a Wah and Volume pedal in to one true-bypass switchable unit.

So that’s Volume pedals in a nutshell – so go wake the neighbours!

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
tonypal
tonypal
02/11/2011 10:04 pm
Something that you should consider in a volume pedal is "feel". I have a cheapie volume pedal and it is always too easyto push too far or not enough bnecause it has a "free moving" feel, much like the behringer that you reviewed. There are pedals around that have a more sophisticated mechanism wherby you need to push a bit harder to increase volume and the result is more "feel". I think defintely worth the extra. I am not sure of the brand that I saw.
And to potential manufacturers, how about one where we can set an adjustable "maximum" volume for gigs/songs.
# 2
Danrockss
Danrockss
02/14/2011 9:00 pm
My friend has a crybaby wah and its great!!...peace...dan
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.