View post (Personal Teacher Questions & Answers)

View thread

chainsaw936
chainsaw936
01/31/2011 2:04 am
I've been learning guitar for almost two years and have gained a lot of knowledge and basic skills through this website on my own. I can learn just about any lick or excercise with practice but I've heard to speed up progress selcting a good personal teacher would really help. I started taking lessons about a year ago with a very accomplished musician but I'd like to hear some feedback on my dilema.

1. I chose this instructor because our musical interest are very similar and figured if you want to learn a specific style, choose accordingly
2. My progress has not been what I had hoped for based on the amount of time I set aside for practice. I've set benchmarks and worked on specific skills but applying them musically has been very slow and frustrating.
3. He doesn't have a structured/written agenda and we kind of work on things that I have been working on from GT website. Is this strange or common?

We have a good relationship but I'm not sure if he's the right teacher for my goals as a hobbyist guitar player? I'd appreciate feedback from your experience in this area so I can quite wasting my time and continue making progress to creating music...not just scale runs and licks.

Thanks!
Shawn