Finally starting to have a little fun!

mcullinan
mcullinan
01/26/2011 2:26 pm
I am here:
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11177
And its nice to be able to play something that sounds like you know what your doing.. sort of.. heh.

Im trying to focus on knowing the notes that are in the major scale that flow into the next chord.

The major scale is always W, W, HS, W, W, W, HS no matter what note you start from right?

Minor is W, HS, W, W, HS, W, W

The issue is keeping up when Chris decides to start on a note and move across strings finding a run to link to the next chord. Then I have to visualize the notes as well. This will take a bit correct, or am I expected to know this by heart?
# 1
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
01/26/2011 3:11 pm
I do not have access to the lesson but you are correct with the scale steps. It will probably take a little time to learn just like anything else on guitar. Keep at it and you will improve!
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/26/2011 4:34 pm
Glad youa re having fun!
You have the majro & minor scale formulas correct.
Originally Posted by: mcullinanIm trying to focus on knowing the notes that are in the major scale that flow into the next chord.
This will take a bit correct, or am I expected to know this by heart?

Both. :)

It will take a while to gradually practice & eventually commit to memory. Remember, to separate skills in order to focus effectively. So, make time to play & recite note names to yourself. And the next time, work on the mechanics of getting from one note or string to the next.

The more you do them separately, the more you can focus on each skill & gradually over the course of time commit it to memory thereby making it second nature. Eventually, you will find yourself able to do more than one thing at a time, because you've automated the skills.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
mcullinan
mcullinan
01/26/2011 9:21 pm
Thanks! I did follow the lesson much better by working out the notes while you played the lesson. I was not able to keep up with the video and your fingers moving, but you mentioned the notes played which got me on track. In the beginning I was like you want me to play what!!!??? but after going through the video 3 or 4 times and practicing I felt it was pretty easy & straightforward.
# 4
Lycaean
Lycaean
01/26/2011 11:04 pm
Ha, ha, ha, Mc....., what did I tell you???
It really pays to ask, right!!! Result: You're learning the section that I dreaded most smoothly! Just watch the video and complete that chapter/section so I can go forward, but promising myself to go back and learn it for good! It's really confusing, especially to me, who has just picked up a guitar, an absolute newbie, you might say!
Overall, Chris Schlegel is an excellent instructor, and GuitarTricks is right to have him do the tutorials for the GF #1 and #2, the guitar foundation that every guitarist must know!!!! He trully knows what he's teaching!!!
Lycaean
# 5
Jorgee
Jorgee
01/27/2011 8:30 am
Congratulations, it only gets better from here, when you get to other difficult stages, remember the feeling of accomplishment that you have just experienced to motivate yourself!!!!:)
# 6
Bob618
Bob618
01/28/2011 2:48 am
I am learning Guitar too but all the scale stuff I learned on my keyboard lessons ( over two years ago). I will say I tried this years ago and go lost and boggled so stopped the guitar then. Today, coming from keyboard, it all makes sense now. It is so much easier to understand the Scales, intervals, triads and chord progressions on a keyboard.
A major scale uses the pattern like you said .. no matter which note you start on.
The Natural Minor uses the pattern you have too.

Your chord progressions generally use the I chord, the IV chord, The V chord, The V7 chord and at times you'll see the VI chord in there.
In the C Major scale this would be C Major chord, F Major chord, G Major chord, G7 Chord, and Am Chord.

The Relative Minor is the 6th note of the major scale, so in the Key of C Major the relative minor is Am - That is the Natural Minor Scale.

Intervals are measured in half steps and I learned to look for patterns like the 3rd has the same pattern so look to the bottom note and the pattern and I will know it is a 3rd up from low C, for example.

You will know a Tiad consist of two intervals - A Third, and A Fifth. Inversions are swithching the notes of a Triad around so you have the next note in the triad as the base note.

Trust me, learn all of this on keyboard and it will be so much easier - then apply it on guitar.....
# 7
hunter1801
hunter1801
01/28/2011 4:39 am
Ya I have heard numerous times before that going from piano to guitar is way easier (the theory side of it that is). I've wanted to learn piano for a while but have no idea where to even start.
# 8
compart1
compart1
01/30/2011 5:20 pm
Take a look at http://pianotricks.com/
You'll hear a firmilar voice there..!
Then get a keyboard..
Gordon
# 9
psylocke24
psylocke24
02/12/2011 9:21 am
It is easier because you will get familiar with the chords. I have a tutorial as well it is hard at the beginning especially I have small fingers.
# 10
psylocke24
psylocke24
02/12/2011 9:26 am
It is easier because you will get familiar with the chords. I have a tutorial as well it is hard at the beginning especially I have small fingers.

Cello Lessons
# 11
JonChorba
JonChorba
02/12/2011 11:03 pm
Glad to see you are having fun! That's what this is all about!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 12
JJ90
JJ90
02/13/2011 12:41 pm
Well congratulations and it is as the others say. The fun is only starting. Even though learning to play the guitar is something quite a struggle it is soooo incredibly rewarding to actually finally achieve something. For me it always helped that I was over ambitious ( wanted to play really complicated stuff ). That is still my motivator today that I want to achieve those goals, and knowing for me which songs I wanna learn in the road towards my goals.

The way I learned to play scales was only with the help of the CAGED system ( each position of the scale linked to another chord-shape ). With help of that I figured out the root / key and figured out all notes so I could make up my own chords. The piano is really usefull for this, helping shape those chords. But the if you can count for yourself it might even work better to learn how big an interval is to see which kind of chord you are dealing with ( major/minor etc. ).
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.