Music Diary book?

Grandslam15
Grandslam15
01/23/2011 7:28 am
Hey there,

I heard that musicians have a music diary book that they use.
just curious...what things would you write in that music diary book?
Should I start doing this music diary book thing?
I just wouldnt know where to start so I guess thats why Im here asking this question. :P
# 1
hpcrazy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
hpcrazy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/24/2011 6:22 am
Never heard of such book - but what some musicians might have is kind of a transportable recording tool to record instant ideas. I just had a situation yesturday preparing a big concert in 2 weeks. During the practicing in the concert hall I had some great ideas which I wished I could have had them recorded :) :cool:

HP
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/27/2011 8:25 pm
I know what you're talking about... a lot of people advocate keeping a journal. Steve Vai used to, among many other great players. Its not a bad idea. I'm pretty lazy with that kind of stuff, but I do keep one. What' in it? Well, I write down goals, like "know all 5 major scale patterns in all keys", things like that that I'm working on. Some things are very specific, like a certain exercise and the fastest tempo I can play it without making mistakes. I also write down patterns from my Boss DR880 that I really like, and the scales I'm using with those patterns. Since I'm working on acoustic fingerpicking as well, I have notes on that too, like "B7 & Fmaj chord- keep pinky in correct "go to" position." I wonder what that means...

Hey try it... just get yourself a blank book, and make notes as simple or as detailed as you want about your progress. Then you can always refer to it later so you can be sure you're working towards your goals.
# 3
JonChorba
JonChorba
01/28/2011 1:38 pm
Never used one and never heard of one, but it does sound like a good tool. Hey, if it's good enough for Steve Vai...:)
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 4
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
01/28/2011 3:03 pm
I dont call it a diary but I use something similar. In it I write down all my practice schedules for each day. I also write down musical goals that I would like to accomplish each week. It has helped me stay more organized and progress at a faster rate!
# 5
Ty Morgan
Ty Morgan
02/11/2011 1:15 pm
For the past year I've been using a spreadsheet format with the days of the week across the top and my scheduled exercises down the side. In each exercise cell I write how long I practiced the exercise, the BPMs and any break throughs or obstacles I encounter.

I've archived all these pages in a binder and found it extremely helpful when I'm loosing focus or having a pity party for myself to go back through past spreadsheets and note, not only how much time I've invested, but how much I've improved. It's a great motivator in the tough times for sure.

Some things I also list on the spreadsheet are:

- Any song ideas I come up with and what the recording name is (This is very handy to find those valuable song snippets from months ago that you can't remember what you called. "Chorus_in_A_021110_a.wav" is catchy, but....:-)

- Any cool licks or phrases I happen upon and the recording names or associated music notation I may have for the lick.

- Any songs I'm working on to add to my repertoire. This helps keep me focused and refreshed on songs I would probably forget about after a week or so. Plus, it keeps a running total of how your repertoire is growing which is another great source of motivation.

- Listing of and notes on any videos or other learning materials I may use so I can go back and track things down months later and get a quick recap from my notes or quickly locate a specific part of a video that I found helpful.

- etc., etc.

It's a pretty personal thing, but well worth the effort.

I know it's a bit nerdy, but it has paid huge dividends.

As Jon already said, "..if it's good enough for Steve Vai...."
# 6
MJ66
MJ66
02/14/2011 6:18 pm
I have one that I keep the names of songs I want to learn in, there are so many I tend to forget, so when I want something new, I just look at my list. I also write down chord progressions and licks I come up that I want to be able to remember.

I'll also use it to write down questions I run across when I'm practicing so I can ask my teacher about them. I really think that whatever you find helpful is what you should put in it. It's your book! :)
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.