Are you nervous?

Joseph
Joseph
02/16/2002 3:29 am
As traveling musicians, as local musicians, as guitar players who play in their basement all afternoon... When that inevitable moment comes where we're forced to play in front of others, we sometimes crack under the pressure. Yet as the years progress, we simply find better ways to deal with it all.

Personally, as a guitarist, throughout my life I've always played around people, whether it's been family, friends, or the neighbors. I guess being that my family was so proud of my musical achievements, they used to brag (like any parents would) and they pushed me even farther than I could ever imagine. However, naturally under all of that pressure, I was never quite comfortable with an audience. I've always been more comfortable writing songs in my room, instead of performing in front of a group of eager friends.

But still, as musicians, we have to get over our fears because it's very important to be be able to share our music with others. We can't sit in our rooms all afternoon and simply hide from the outside world. We have to be willing to accept a little criticism, and bull****. :eek:

However, we all have our own methods for keeping it all together (when playing in front of others.) For me, as a practicing musician, for the most part I gaze into the nether void when playing, of course I glance at my instrument every now and then, but I tend to try and close my eyes and imagine that I'm somewhere else, or perhaps by myself.

This helps me concentrate on my playing, and it's something that comes very natural to me. I think for every musician it's important for them to find their sweet spot, and no matter where we are, we can easily find ourselves mesmerized by our tunes.

However, we all have our own methods for keeping our nerves under controls. What's yours?

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/16/2002 5:01 am
I'm actually totally comfortable on stage. My brain switches into a completely different mode than my "normal" thought process. It's weird.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/16/2002 11:17 pm
I actually use the audience as another instrument. I play for them, and I do not try to forget them. Last time I was in a tribute to George BRASSENS, the french singer, and I had to play an arrangement of a tune that's usually played by two guitars. A girl was supposed to sing, but due to stupid schedules I had to be by myslef, singing, AND fingerpicking the whole dang piece... There were those big lights that prevented me from seeing the crowd. I didn't see the words (I hadn't learnt them, since I didn't think I would sing...)and I started panicking... Well, I got out of it when I started doing this blues licks intro, totally out of context, and I heard the laughs in the audience...

Well, I almost didn't sound bad...:)

# 3
jac0me
jac0me
02/18/2002 1:08 pm
I always find that i have no trouble playing other peoples songs to an audience, but when it comes to my own songs, i'm alot more hesitant for fear of the critics and that people will think that my music is crap. I dont think i could handle people saying that my music (remember its an expression of my emotions) is crap. there is only a few that i will play my songs for...
# 4
13noon
13noon
02/20/2002 4:38 am
I play rhythm guitar in my high school Jazz band, and recently we recorded a CD. I was tapping out the tempo with my foot, but by the time I got to my solo, my foot was practically tapping thirty-second notes! I get pretty nervous. A couple days later we played live on the radio and it wasn't so bad. I think it was cause my friend and I were jamming beforehand. Just getting warmed up and used to playing helps my nervousness. Still, I need to get over it to become a more serious musician.

~13noon
# 5
jack7
jack7
02/21/2002 5:06 pm
I was going to play the star spangled banner
kind of like Jimi did in front of about 350
people man I had some major butterflys but
after the first few notes they went away.
I guess if you just focus on playing it will
be OK.:cool:
Rock-n-Roll 4 Ever
:cool: Jack 7
# 6
trebledamage
trebledamage
02/22/2002 3:15 pm
For the most part, I don't get nervous on stage. I usually have fun when I'm up there. I think a lot of that comes with experience because as a kid playing in high school bands, I used to get extremely nervous if I had to play a solo in front of an audience. I think becoming an attorney really broke me of that nervous feeling on stage. For me, playing in front of an audience doesn't seem to compare with the stress I experienced in law school or while litigating cases in a hostile court environment. At least when I'm on stage, my audience is looking forward to being entertained as opposed to publicly flogging me or my client or both of us simultaneously!
:cool:
# 7
i.s.marshall
i.s.marshall
02/22/2002 8:34 pm
i was always nervouse when i went on stage, and it was fear that made me work twice as hard, in fact it was fear that made me call it a day, i found that when there was no nerve's there was no desire to perform any more, i always got such a buzz on stage, but fhere comes a time when you dont want to do it anymore, the old pro's know what i mean and you also find that, there are no nerve's anymore becouse no'matter where you play, it all seem's so famillier to you, but then you seem to get more pleasure from performing one song for some old guy, or a small group and then you smell it you get just a whiff of it, ahh i love the smell of napalm in the morning, sorry guy's got carried away a bit, well i do live in belfast grant me a little pethetic licence, but seriously guy's enjoy the fear while you can, incidently some guy.s never conquer there fear at all and so retire early, anyway nuff said rock on guy.s by the way i love this forum keep it cummmmmmmmmiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
# 8
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
02/27/2002 3:21 am
man, dont wanna sound perved or anythin, but when you use the word "comin" make sure not to mistake the "come" with "cum" they are way two different things.
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/27/2002 4:14 am
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
man, dont wanna sound perved or anythin, but when you use the word "comin" make sure not to mistake the "come" with "cum" they are way two different things.
Not only that, but it makes the thread page so wide that we have to scroll back and forth just to read the posts!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
titymunger
titymunger
03/04/2002 11:01 pm
ok dude check it out. I make music everyday all the time.
and i play for people everywhere.the thing is you cant worrie about critics telling you about your stuff it's yours and nobody can duplicate it. so keep on rockin

:D
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.