EMI Popping on Amp

bobby_t
Full Access
bobby_t
Full Access
11/15/2010 4:55 pm
I'm just starting to learn and I have a Line 6 Spider IV Amp. It pops whenever the AC turns on, or if I open the Microwave. Even flipping a light switch will make it pop to a lesser degree. I'm in an apartment so I apparently get this from things happening in other units as well since it can just be sitting on and it will lightly pop once in a while. This doesn't seem that it should be normal to me. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.
# 1
dougjt
dougjt
11/15/2010 5:40 pm
Try a different plug. If you turn something on amp ur amp pops is probably on the same circuit and apartments are wired by the lowest bidder I have personally seen some interesting wiring jobs in buildings like that.

But it might not due any good, since all the units are likely grounded on the same block.

Option 1 :shady cheap method:

Go to ur local hardware store for about a buck buy a plug that turns 3 prongs into 2 ( this isolates the ground which is were U usually pick up noise) U can then run a ground wire from the little metal clip on the plug to any ground. (this is not necessary but in case ur building gets struck by lighting or something it will be safer)

Option 2 Expensive:

Buy a quality power condition which will be more money then your amp.

I would try option 1 I use it a lot to kill 60 hz noise in various electronics
# 2
bobby_t
Full Access
bobby_t
Full Access
11/15/2010 8:33 pm
Thanks Doug. I'll try option 1. I might even have one of those adapters already. It's not worth the cost of option 2.
# 3
samata
samata
11/16/2010 2:52 am
Originally Posted by: dougjt

U can then run a ground wire from the little metal clip on the plug to any ground. (this is not necessary but in case ur building gets struck by lighting or something it will be safer)

That would be an EXTREMELY dangerous thing to do. In effect, what you're doing if you do this is bypassing the ground of your building's wiring, and wiring the frame part of your amp to ground. In a 3-prong configuration, the metal of your amp is GROUNDED. They way you describe doing it, it would become Ground with the positive and neutral floating without a ground.. So, if you were to touch any part of the electric positive and then and touch the metal of your amp, you'd be completing the circuit to ground and could electrocute yourself.
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 4
bobby_t
Full Access
bobby_t
Full Access
11/16/2010 2:57 pm
I think what doug was saying is that in some of those wiring jobs they have voltages that get induced from a hot ground from another device somewhere and to see if isolating it from that takes care of the problem. There could also be more than one grounding system that are at different potentials. The biggest danger would be if the casing became hot without being grounded. Then if you got between the casing and a ground, you could get shocked. My apartment isn't one of them, but some homes only have two wire systems and you would have no choice unless you could play by the kitchen sink or in the bathroom where you had a grounded 3 prong outlet.

In any event, that didn't take care of it. I think it is getting induced over the air, because I turned on a fluorescent light and the amp flickered with the light as it was lighting up. I unplugged the guitar and still got it, so it's not the pickups on the guitar doing it.
# 5
bobby_t
Full Access
bobby_t
Full Access
11/17/2010 2:26 am
Well, I didn't unplug the guitar and try it. I must have dreamed that or something because, I unplugged it and tried again. No pop. plugged it back in and turned on a fan and got a big pop. So it turns out it's the guitar's pickups picking up the EMI
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/17/2010 5:07 pm
Originally Posted by: bobbysan07Well, I didn't unplug the guitar and try it. I must have dreamed that or something because, I unplugged it and tried again. No pop. plugged it back in and turned on a fan and got a big pop. So it turns out it's the guitar's pickups picking up the EMI

I think it is more likely that the guitar is just completing the circuit, enabling the effect.

You write like you know electricity. :) Do you know anywhere to borrow a conditioner to see?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 7
bobby_t
Full Access
bobby_t
Full Access
11/17/2010 10:24 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboI think it is more likely that the guitar is just completing the circuit, enabling the effect.

You write like you know electricity. :) Do you know anywhere to borrow a conditioner to see?

That could be, Razbo. I'm not sure where I could borrow one off hand. I think I'll try putting a meter in the outlet and see if I get a spike when flipping another switch. I haven't plugged it in a surge protector yet either. Or maybe try an external electrical source near the guitar and see if it pops. It's not buzzing or humming like a floating voltage on a ground. I don't mind buying a conditioner if I'm pretty sure that will take care of it.
# 8
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/18/2010 2:38 pm
You could just make a House Rule: No turning stuff on whilst the guitar is in play. :D
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.