Why learn theory?

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/15/2002 10:21 pm
This passage was in a book I'm reading (Jazz theory resource by Bert Ligon). I thought he summed it up pretty good so I thought I'd share it w/you and leave it open for discussion. enjoy!

What about those students who define music as "playing what you feel" and often shun theory discussions? Art can express feelings. Without some knowledge these students wander about musically and consequently express very little. There are many skills to be mastered. I am reminded of something said by the great baseball philosopher Yogi Berra, " if you don't know where you are going you might wind up someplace else". Learning theory can give these students some direction and goals so they wind up playing what they feel instead of playing something else. As a writer studies grammer and vocabulary, an improviser and composer studies music theory: to find and master the tools necessary for the goal of personal expression.
A musician who only wants to "play what he hears" or "play what he feels" already has an idea about notes that sound good in a musical context. That idea is music theory.
# 1
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
02/16/2002 2:56 am
amen.
needa know where the damn notes are and what goes with what!
daniel *the wannabe*
# 2
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/16/2002 11:20 am
The problem is that some people that lack talent take the tools for the goal they try to reach.

They try to master theory and then write songs that show how good they are at "pitch axis" for example...

I consider that theory comes after creation and imagination in art. It helps a lot so that you understand what your brain tries to tell you musically, but I don't think you should start your song by going."Ok, I'm gonna write a lydian melody..."
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/16/2002 5:59 pm
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
I don't think you should start your song by going."Ok, I'm gonna write a lydian melody..."

Why not? I do that all the time.

You can't be creative unless you know what the hell you're doing. (I think that basically sums up what CM was saying) If you don't know anything about theory you're just gunna end up with a bunch of miscellaneous snippits that sound like crap when put together.
# 4
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/16/2002 6:17 pm
Originally posted by Christoph

You can't be creative unless you know what the hell you're doing.

Wow, sorry, but that the biggest mistake I have seen written on this board. Creativity and knowledge are two different stuff, and usually, there are two kinds of people. Those who create, and don't understand what they have done (Allan HOLDSWORTH is one of them, as Django) and people who try to understand what they have done (musicologists, and 95 percent of musicians worldwide)

Mc Laughlin put it this way 'learn everything, then forget it all'
Creativity doesn't involve knowledge, analysis does. Musicians are not analysts...
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/16/2002 6:34 pm
I take the position that music theory is like the vocabulary of the language we call music. You can't express profound feelings well, unless you have the 'words' to express them with.

It is possible to stumble into effective progressions, (my lack of knowledge condemns me to this approach), but I suspect this is the musical equivalent of puting 1000 monkeys in a room full of typwriters, and waiting for them to write "War And Peace".
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
02/16/2002 7:43 pm
i use my theory knowledge to help me express my emotions and set the mood.
if i didn't know what worked, then i would spend days trying to find something that i would have known before.
-Daniel
# 7

02/16/2002 8:12 pm

I'm just starting to learn some music theory which was totally absent in my guitar playing. Been playing for ten years.

I didn't know and still don't know in what key I play when I do a solo. I just let it go. Most of the time I get something ok, I'm not the best soloist here but not knowing theory never stopped me from creating.

I just know when it sounds bad and when it's sounds good.

So I agree with Lalimacefolle but I must say a little theory the first year I played would have help me get where I wanted faster.
# 8
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/16/2002 10:59 pm
Originally posted by Benoit
So I agree with Lalimacefolle but I must say a little theory the first year I played would have help me get where I wanted faster.

That's exactly my point. You'll see that now that you have developed your taste and hear, learning theory will make you take giant leaps. Will it gives you more creativity? I doubt it. Will it help you go faster when you create, and diversify what comes out of your head? Totally.

# 9
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/17/2002 12:56 am
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
. . . but that the biggest mistake I have seen written on this board. Creativity and knowledge are two different stuff, and usually, there are two kinds of people.

I think we are having some difficulty with semantics here. From my point of view, creativity is taking what you know and putting it together in an original way. (this applies to music, art, architecture, science, computer programming, etc) I've never really heard of any of those geezers that you mentioned, but whether or not they realized it, they were using theory to compose. Just like you might be able to paint an amazing picture without knowing anything about perspective, light, or color through sheer dumb luck or intuition, you can play the guitar and compose without knowing or using theory. But just as the painter who doesn't know any artistic principles is unwittingly using them in his work, so does the guitarist/musician who plays without knowing theory.

You're still using it, so you might as well learn it. It'll make things a lot easier in the long run.
# 10
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/17/2002 1:02 am
I actually teach music, but I see kids that are put off music everyday because we try to ram theory down their throat instead of letting their creativity flow.

You should check out Django REINDHART greatest Jazz guitarist ever, and Allan HOLDSWORTH, no word can say how scary he is... http://www.gnarlygeezer.com/music.asp
# 11
river
river
02/18/2002 1:25 am
ive found theory to be a wonderful thing. it gives me
games to play with my music. its important to simply
be creative... hit wutever notes feel good...turn up
the effects n wham away ...but without understanding
theory you will find yourself 'cornered' very often .
its always nice to be able to reach into your bag of
tricks and find it full. havent we all played with
great creative talent but who couldnt bring it all
together on a regular basis ? guitarism is a lifelong
endeavor. learn everything and practice lots of different
stuff...the only harm in learnin theory is that you will
learn how sparse your bag of tricks had been( and you
will cringe at your old recordings i bet too )
# 12
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/18/2002 5:47 am
I think theory is only going to expand your creativity. While most people can easily hear major scales, pentatonics, and blues scales, and create w/them without any theoretical knowledge, how many people are born with the natural intuition to hear whole tone or diminished scales and be able to apply them in a musical manor.
I know....Allen Holdsworth, Django, and Charlie Parker! But there a small part of the population...the rest of us mere mortals are forced to find alternative ways of reaching such profeciency.(and hopefully before we reach 65 and arthritis sets in)
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/18/2002 7:30 pm
This wonderful piece of music was written as an exercise, shifting the melody line and counterparts around among the sections of the orchestra as it progresses. If you are too tightly focused on theory, you quickly recognize the pattern, and lose most of the joy that intuitively creative types experience from it.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/18/2002 11:17 pm
Bach's "the well tempered keyboard" (my translation might be off) was written as a exercice too, just like the "art of the fugue" but this guy had creativity, so those exercices just sound awesome...
# 15
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/19/2002 2:19 am
A lot of Bachs' stuff sounds very mathematical to me, but there's nothing wrong with it, I enjoy listening and performing his music.
Too write as much music as he did in a lifetime ( I think it was nine hundred and some pieces) he had to have some sort of formula.
# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/19/2002 4:26 am
Originally posted by chris mood
... To write as much music as he did in a lifetime ( I think it was nine hundred and some pieces) he had to have some sort of formula.
I read somewhere that he used a system called hexachord. Dunno what it is, or how its applied.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/19/2002 6:15 am

Hexachords, eh? Better ask Azrael about them. He tried to explain the formula to me over messenger, but it didn't work out too well.
# 18
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
02/19/2002 7:32 am
On the creativity vs knowledge debate, Bach and Mozart were both known as incredible improvisers in their day and could go on for hours, I like the analogy to painting, if you painted only with 3 colors your whole life, wouldn't be a shock to see someone painting who used all the colors and knew how to mix paint, I once met a guy who said he could only play in A or C, what if Mozart's dad had been a street sweeper? I don't think full creativity can be unleashed without a good knowledge base, many famous guitarists that are self taught usally wind up bemoaning the lack of knowledge eventually, ignorance is a hard case to argue, except maybe on a guitar forum late at night
# 19
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/19/2002 5:01 pm
There is a difference between ignorance and being spontaneous...

I know I might sound weird, but I know theory (I teach music) I think it is a fantastic tool, that it develops things that you wouldn't have come up with if you were ignorant and everything, but let's take the painting example:

One guy is an amazing painter, he only has the money to buy red and blue. His art is so cool everyone loves it, buy it and he becomes rich. He can now have all the money he needs. So he paints even greater things, with awesome colors...

Another guy paints stuff but he is mediocre. He wins 20000 at a lottery. He then buys all the colors, and does paintings very colorful. Other painters love the colors on his paintings, they wish they could do the same with theirs.

The difference between the 2? The first one has something to say, and colors (theory) expands the realm of possibilities. The other one is just some John Smith, and his paintings remain what they are, colors on a canvas (or in music, exercices, or shred music, among others)

I hope I have made my point clearer...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.