Solo creation

caponi14
caponi14
10/30/2010 10:34 pm
Hello fellow guitarists, i want to ask a question about the art of composing a good guitar solo.

My big idol is Slash! and i admire pretty much anything that he does with music. There is a thing that have disturbed my mind for quite some time now.
How can he create so many variations within the pretty ''straight forward'' scales that he uses in his solo.

How do i start composing good solos like him for the songs im writing?

Ofcourse i know that i have to follow the chords going on behind the solos, i think you know what i mean. I want to make the solos unique with nice variations.
Since my playing style is very much based around Slash's style, it reminds alot of his stuff that i do for solos. But i feel something is missing.....
Any advices or thoughts about this?

:)
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
10/31/2010 1:12 am
That reminds me....I have to learn the solo for Slither (Velvet Revolver) by Sunday for a gig :( Slash does a lot of bends and vibrato to add to his sound. Can't comment too much on music theory stuff as to what he does though since I have no idea.
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/24/2010 7:09 pm
In the development of great solos, to me it makes sense to think from a songwriting perspective. Think like a vocalist. I read an article with Tre Anastasio (Phish) a few years ago where he talked about listening to Billie Holiday (jazz vocalist) and how he would learn her vocal lines on guitar. Great soloists to me are also good songwriters and can sing as well. Thinking from a a vocalists' mind frame I feel really helps your solos to become much more memorable and melodic. I know Slash doesn't sing, but he has been in countless great rock bands over the decades and I am certain that melodic sense is in his playing.

Try learning from vocal melodies from songs you like and see what happens. Good luck! :D
Douglas Showalter
# 3
dougjt
dougjt
11/24/2010 11:38 pm
I always thought the late Darrell Abbott sang along with Phil on his guitar. It's just a we bit heavy for me but good music and guitar work.
# 4
JeffWilliams413
JeffWilliams413
11/27/2010 6:06 pm
Yeah, definitely listening closely to vocalist. If you get the chance figure out the vocal melody to a song on guitar from ear. It will help your soloing a ton.

Also, listen to the over all structure of Slash's solos. Most of them are like a story: intro, development, climax, conclusion (w/ a signature lick to end). That's how you take a bunch a great licks turn them into phrases and turn them into a great and memorable solo that really grabs people. It actually has a lot to do with psychology. Having a good underlying solo structure gets into the mind of the listener.
# 5
JonChorba
JonChorba
11/28/2010 5:58 am
Originally Posted by: JeffWilliams413Yeah, definitely listening closely to vocalist. If you get the chance figure out the vocal melody to a song on guitar from ear. It will help your soloing a ton.

Also, listen to the over all structure of Slash's solos. Most of them are like a story: intro, development, climax, conclusion (w/ a signature lick to end). That's how you take a bunch a great licks turn them into phrases and turn them into a great and memorable solo that really grabs people. It actually has a lot to do with psychology. Having a good underlying solo structure gets into the mind of the listener.

+1 to all of that! Training your ear is critical to developing good solos.

In addition to Jeff's advice, I'd suggest spending at least 5-10 min everyday you practice working on ear training. www.goodear.com has some great exercises from beginner to advanced on training your ear.

Also, try transcribing/tabbing simple melodies like "Yankee Doodle" or "Old MacDonald" by hand, without using your guitar. Then check to see how close you came and revise. That will greatly improve your ability to hear the notes in your head and see them on the guitar.

Slash rules!!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.