Is there any specific reason I SHOULDN'T be doing this??

samata
samata
10/10/2010 1:11 am
I know that "right way" and "wrong way" are not absolute in guitar and if it works then something probably isn't "wrong". But, I've discovered an easier way for me to do something, and I want to make sure, being the novice that I am, that I'm not shooting myself in my foot later on by doing it an alternate way, because of things that I don't know yet....

By experimentation, I'm finding it MUCH easier to play if, on a D Major Chord I switch my index and middle fingers. So instead of fingers I-G string, M-E string, I'm doing my I on the E string and the Middle on the G string. I know and notice that this puts the index finger back a ways from the fret on the F# by necessity, but I'm finding that not having to uncross those two fingers makes it significantly easier for me to chord change to a chord like C major or Am (and, obviously a LOT easier to change from D major to D minor)

I will practice it both ways, but is there a compelling reason NOT to do it this way, as long as the chord sounds true that I don't know about yet?

thanks
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/10/2010 9:58 am
Since there are numerous ways to play the chords you just mentioned it is hard to say whether or not you are unneccessarily twisting your fingers into a pretzel or not.

Generally speaking - when talking of fingerings - you need to take a step back and see the whole picture in terms of context. Depending on the chords/notes prior and after the given chord it might in some cases be usefull to go away from the "norm" and fret the chord a bit differently than you would do when you are playing the chord seperately. This has a lot to do with designing your play-flow as economically as possible. Same is true for scale runs and licks. Depending on the context of the song it might make sense playing a certain passage in a way that might look awkward if you rip it out of that context. That of couse is a pretty vast matter and requires some experience and knowledge of the fretboard.

As for personal preference: Yes - what works for you and does not limit you will be fine. Problem is, that without someone more seasoned in that matter monitoring your work, it might lead you to a very uneconomic play. That means you develop quite good in the beginning and sooner or later you are running into a wall and just dont manage to get certain things up to speed or to make them sound good. Getting rid of such "bad habbits" once you got them down and used them for some time (what might be years!) is very hard and sometimes very frustrating. So standing at the beginnig of learning the guitar, you should probably not experiment too much with things like this.

I suggest to go with the "standard" options first and then work you way from there. That should keep you on the safe side.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
samata
samata
10/10/2010 4:39 pm
Originally Posted by: AzraelS Problem is, that without someone more seasoned in that matter monitoring your work, it might lead you to a very uneconomic play. That means you develop quite good in the beginning and sooner or later you are running into a wall and just dont manage to get certain things up to speed or to make them sound good.

Thank you for your comments! And, yes. The above quote is EXACTLY why I posted and asked. I know I can do it, and it "works", but it would be foolish not to ask and take advantage of the opinions of the "seasoned" people on here. Comments like "that works for you NOW, but when you get to be playing 5x faster..." etc And, again, I intend to practice it BOTH ways so that if I do learn it's not a good idea, I can have the "proper" way down as well.

I do try to remain cognizant of the fact that I'm a beginner. But, I also am really enjoying experimenting and trying things with the guitar and not only playing, but "playing". Which is something my previous instrument (saxophone) didn't allow much of...

Again, I appreciate the comments :)
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 3
Jarsew
Jarsew
10/11/2010 3:37 pm
Yup Azrael pretty much said it all; It all depends on what chord comes before and/or after the chord in question. It may be an odd fingering for a chord, but it makes sense if it makes switching to the next chord more efficient.

So its wise to get used to all the differing finger arrangements for every chord, as it seems you are already doing :)
# 4
tmac4919
tmac4919
10/14/2010 4:36 pm
Just as Jarsew just mentioned. You can do it your way and you might think it is easier, but you should be thinking ahead. Meaning that if you finger the D the traditional way, you will have an easier time transitioning between the D, A, and E chords. A very common chord progression.

This is what I think of when it comes to the G chord. I finger it with pinky, ring, and middle. This puts my fingers in a better position to transition between the C and F chords. Again, another very common chord progression.
# 5
dalduque
dalduque
10/20/2010 4:50 pm
You should just do it the traditional way. Because you can have some problems down the road playing songs like Here Comes The Sun.
Only song that comes to my mind right now, but I'm sure there are many more. ;)
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.