Hagstrom Guitars

Bryan Hillebrandt
Bryan Hillebrandt
10/07/2010 5:59 pm

Three generations of Hagström guitars: A Standard 80, a Kent II, and an H IIN OT.

So you’ve collected your American-made Fenders and Gibsons, you’ve branched out to some of the Japanese “lawsuit guitars” (an eBay buzzword if there ever was one), and now you’re wondering what other countries may have to offer. I suggest the first stop should be Sweden where the Hagstrom company was founded and where they produced some amazing guitars.

Hagstrom didn’t start off as a guitar company: they originally imported accordions into Sweden from Germany and Italy before they started making their own. Accordions were a profitable venture for Hagstrom but in the late ‘50s the company became one of the first companies to mass produce electric guitars outside of the United States.

The first Hagstrom guitars showed their pedigree in the pearloid finish reminiscent of the accordions the company had been cranking out. These were followed by a range of hollow body guitars that have become classics. That electric guitar Elvis had strapped around him in the ‘68 Comeback Special was a Hagstrom Viking II. Legendary session drummer, Hal Blaine--part of the team of heavy-weight session musicians known as The Wrecking Crew and Elvis’ drummer on the ’68 Comeback--said that Elvis thought the Hagstrom was lucky due to the success of the Comeback Special.

The Hagstrom Kent is what I think about when someone mentions Hagstroms. These models have wooden bodies covered with plastic and vinyl, which gives it a certain futuristic look. (Some have a super cool fake radio grill set between the pickups.) Other notable Hagstrom models include their take on the Gibson SG, the Hagstrom I, II, and III. These are great guitars that have a cult following of their own.

One feature the Hagstroms are known for are their necks. All of the Hagstroms I’ve played have very thin necks (thin in terms of fingerboard width). I’ve always found them very easy to play because of this and enjoy the way they fit it my hand. This is especially true of their basses. I like to be able to play chords on my bass every now and then and like being able to get from one string to another quickly. With the narrow neck on these basses you’re really able to fly around.

Did I forget to mention that Hagstrom made basses? Yes they did. In fact, Hagstrom was the first company to mass produce an 8-string bass, the mighty H-8. This beast was played by Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience (there are also shots of Jimi playing an H-8). Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath is rumored to have played one as well. The H-8 (reissued as the HB-8) has an extra octave string for each string. This gives each fretted note more depth and thickens up the sound.

Like most vintage equipment these days, the price of Hagstrom guitars and basses has gone through the roof. If you’re not too keen on throwing out a bunch of ducats for a Swedish-made Hag, the Hagstrom brand has been reborn and some of the most iconic models are in production again--including the mighty 8-string. I haven’t had a chance to play one, but they are made in China so that could be either good or really bad. (If there’s a Hagstrom rep out there that would like me to review one, I’m way into that. I’ll send it back too, promise.)

Hagstrom produced some real classic guitars and it’s pretty exciting that they are in production again. If you’re looking to round out your collection of vintage axes, don’t shy away from these.
# 1
mgionet
mgionet
10/08/2010 4:55 pm
Hey Bry.. nice piece on Hagstroms... I own a 1973 Hagstrom Swede, my first electric.. and you are correct very thin and fast neck... also a tone monster with extra toggle that expands what the guitar can crank out...

nice to see someone remembers this very nice guitar. Also, good to recognize that in recent years Hagstrom sold to firm who is making these now in China.. don't know about the quality -- maybe that is something you or viewers can comment about.

best

mark
# 2
graycelt
Full Access
graycelt
Full Access
10/13/2010 5:06 am
Interesting to read up on the history of Hagstrom guitars... I just bought a Viking with the tremar vibrato. Really, it seems well made and quite visually stunning. Played well right out of the box (from Amazon.com of all places).
Great tone as far as I am concerned. For the price it is certainly a great deal, and the quality exceeded my expectations. I'd be interested to see your review.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.