View post (favorite guitarist?)

View thread

LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
07/17/2000 2:16 am
What the heck are you apologizing for? You're totally right man. Shredding for the sake of shredding is pointless. If you're playing something hard for the sole point that its hard, then you're not playing music you're playing excercises.
As for seeing interesting ideas such as pedal licks, string skipping, and diminished runs in yngwie's solos, those are techniques that can be applied in a musical manner, and in a non musical manner. When they are recited verbatim from clasical guitar etudes, that's a non musical manner.
I think that it's near impossible to construct an interesting solo consisting entirely of 16th and 32nd notes. You give the listener no chance to absorb, and there's no intensity in playing fast if you do it all the time. When all your solos are played constantly ultra fast, and always in the same cliched harmonic minor scale with the same predictable runs and licks, just because its tough as hell doesn't justify it musically.
Technique is not musical. It is a means to an end, and when it becomes the end, that corrupts the purpose of music.
Please nobody tell me I'm just jealous. I listen to lots of virtuosos, guitar and other instruments, but the best aren't just mechanical. They are sensitive to dynamics, phrasing, tone, everything.
It can be entertaining to listen to guitar acrobatics, but its entertaining in the same way that seeing micheal jordan do some impressive slam dunk is, not in the same way that being moved by a piece of music or a painting is. When people play guitar to impress other guitarrists, that's athletic, not musical.