View post (favorite guitarist?)

View thread

AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
07/15/2000 10:45 pm
Is there anyone on here who doesn't like shredders? I am into every style of music out there, and there are amazing musicians of every genre, but I am so sick to death of people like Steve Vai. And, before you go there, I was a shredder. I still have the technical ability to play picture perfect 32nd notes, or wank Aolian runs all night, but music is about melody and rhythm, it's about the hook, it's about the emotion.
I've been moved to tears by music, listen to a good ballad, a heartfelt country song, a decent classical piece, an emotive blues or jazz song. How many of you can say that shredding has ever made you feel anything other than an urge to play guitar really really fast and OOH and AAAH at someone's technique?
On the other hand, im not advocating these idiots who don't know how to play guitar and brandish their ignorance like it's a flag. What ever happened to cool riffs or licks that make you listen to them over and over? what happened to solos you could sing with your voice to learn them? I'm just so sick off all these shredders... Surely you guys know what i mean. I just wish more people made music with substance.

Atomic

[This message has been edited by AtomicMassUnit (edited 07-15-2000).]