Okay, here's another silly question....

samata
samata
09/19/2010 5:21 pm
As mentioned in another thread, even though I've only been playing for 1.5 months, I already have "GAS". I started with a nice Godin acoustic, but quickly realized that I really like playing classical. So, I bought a classical guitar. And a week or so ago, I got a good deal on an upgraded Gibson electric, and bought it "just because".

Now, my question ("problem"?) is that in some cases, I don't know WHICH one to play and practice on! lol

It's fairly obvious that when I play classical, I use the classical guitar. (and, also that I don't use the electric at 2am! :) ) I've been mostly using the steel acoustic for chord and melody practicing from the core lessons on here. (Though, I've been doing Lisa's finger-picking lessons on the classical) But, a little voice in the back of my mind is wondering if there is benefit to practicing some of this on the electric instead? (especially since Christopher DOES the lessons on an electric) I've already realized that hammer ons, pull offs and trills, etc are significantly easier on the electric guitar. And, obviously some things like bending and vibrato almost require it. But, could there be benefit to practicing some of the stuff on the classical that has a wider neck? Or is it better to do the finger-picking on the steel? Those kinds of things....

I know, its a tough problem to HAVE, having too many toys and not knowing which to pick up, but I was curious if anyone has any insight, advice or comments on this subject....

thanks!
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 1
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
09/19/2010 9:06 pm
it's one of those things you never get rid off, I've got the same thing..after seven years!
it's nice to play classical cause it's so easy to pick up; you're set right away, also the strings stay nicer and in tune better to my experience, the acoustic sound is also more natural, less overwhelming
practicing on a classical guitar requires stronger finger placement for your fretting hand but makes finger picking easier because the strings are wider apart
practicing on an electric guitar is harder because of the strings being closer together, so chords are harder to sound good without any of your fingers touching another string, same for finger picking, it's easier however to push the strings onto the fretboard

it gets more complicated with different electric guitars, some play better, some sound better, which to choose?!?!

hope that clarifies things :)
= good music is good drinking =
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
09/20/2010 6:57 pm
Going along with what you said, I would say it is harder to play on a classical guitar in terms of finger placement. Since the strings are further apart, you generally have to make a lot bigger stretches. Good luck on barre chords too. Like you mentioned you also have the added task of learning finger picking too.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.